• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (3 Viewers)

When was the last four-bird day? (Not counting Lithuania obviously!)
But my run continues with another unlikely bird considering the lack of water nearby:

58: Grey Wagtail

Better watch out, Ken!!

Edit - 8 finches - a Linnet just went over.

When was the last four-bird day? (Not counting Lithuania obviously!)
But my run continues with another unlikely bird considering the lack of water nearby:

58: Grey Wagtail

Better watch out, Ken!!

Edit - 8 finches - a Linnet just went over.

You must be on an illegal substance H ;)
You're going great guns!...not realistically expecting anything else before August however....I had my 5th!!!!!Common Tern over last night at 9.15 pm. Some years I'm lucky to get just the one! Bit of a tern up for the books I suppose.....;)

Hooray. 66. Merlin This one has been a long time coming, I see one or two, fairly regularly on my walks in the area, and they breed fairly close by. Finally spotted one zooming past the window this morning. Another first for the garden list.

As for Feral pigeons, no pigeons here yet so feel free to leave them out! ;)
In fact, I'm yet to have any of the the trifecta - House Sparrow, European Starling, or pigeon. Starlings are only a matter of time, as they are close by. House Sparrow isn't even on my county list yet!

It seems you lot have been asleep while I've been in Devon for a week. Here's the wake up call:

55: Redpoll (one over unseen calling)
56: CROSSBILL (one in the opposite direction - seen & heard)

Oh, btw - we're not counting Feral Pigeon, right?

I'm counting. And Pheasants too.

Another expected flyover - but very welcome nonetheless - when two

59: Sky Larks

called as they went.

I'll be lucky to get those!...however totally unexpected at this time (migs are moving!), whilst trying to image Purple Hairstreak on the ivy/hawthorn intermix hedge, at 9:35am...out pops a Lesser Whitethroat!!! before doing the off as I reached down for the camera drats :eek!: no.72.

That's a small possible for me - however I'm still waiting for a Willow Warbler!

I had a young Chiffy through on the 30th June...so keep your eyes peeled H!, as I believe the current "spurt" might be starting to turn into a trickle....before the October "roar".....the great "Bird Gods" being suitably accommodating of course. ;)

68: (Winter) Wren

This is actually a surprise and an interesting record - with no breeding within some 5kms that I know - and no singing audible anywhere round here, this bird is a mover! Maybe it came from a few kms away just wandering around - or maybe much further? Anyway certainly some kind of post-breeding movement.

Winter Wren (Troglodytes hiemalis) would be a West Pal first ;) . . . presume Eurasian Wren (T. troglodytes)?

Yep - its not been too long since they were split properly - its a habit of mine to use the names from the latest printed Collin's ;)

Its only my 2nd ever at home :eek!:

...on second thoughts - I bet its an American one - we did have a bit of cloud yesterday and a warm breeze....

Nice adult White-tailed Eagle sititng near my cabin on Sunday, but even better a new species for my land - long expected, but no less welcome, a Great Reed Warbler singing in the ever growing reedbeds. First new species since a glut of new records in 2015.

109. Great Reed Warbler

A nice reward for you for the habitat creation work you've done there Jos.
Here the first juv. Swallows are on the wing, my long wait for a Hobby will no doubt soon be over.
Went butterfly searching today and (thanks to some knowledgeable friends with me) clocked up 33 species all within 5kms of the house:t:

68: (Eurasian) Wren

This is actually a surprise and an interesting record - with no breeding within some 5kms that I know - and no singing audible anywhere round here, this bird is a mover! Maybe it came from a few kms away just wandering around - or maybe much further? Anyway certainly some kind of post-breeding movement.

I was hoping someone could tell me about Wren's movement - IIRC in BWP its mentioned that Swedish birds do some long distances (2,000kms?). What about other populations. like here....? My bird is totally out of habitat - in a very arid area and at the hottest part of the year.

I was hoping someone could tell me about Wren's movement - IIRC in BWP its mentioned that Swedish birds do some long distances (2,000kms?). What about other populations. like here....? My bird is totally out of habitat - in a very arid area and at the hottest part of the year.

At this time of year, I'd think most likely a local bird, probably a recently fledged young bird on post-breeding dispersal. If you were to get a Swedish bird, it'd be in October (that's when passage Wrens turn up on the Northumbs coast) or later into the winter.

At this time of year, I'd think most likely a local bird, probably a recently fledged young bird on post-breeding dispersal.

Thanks, I think so too - it was a juv. I think, judging by the fresh plumage. I was more surprised by its choice of habitat - down here they are dwellers of cool and shady places, often moist and are not such an abundant species. Anyway, there are certainly not dispersing in any numbers as its not something I've noticed before. They seem such a sedentary species down here.

Thing is, it could have come from central Iberia - breeding season finishing early because of summer temps - and migrating to cooler coastal areas. I believe that this is as plausible as birds just trickling a few kms from nearby. We just don't know - unless someone can enlighten.

I wasn't suggesting that it may have come from northern Europe, merely highlighting this species capacity to disperse/migrate - something rarely mentioned. Its interesting to hear about passage on the UK east coast, again something I can't recall hearing about. To think of one of these whirring over the North Sea at night...!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back