• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sound ... when is a crow a raven! (1 Viewer)

jape

i have rooks and crows around but not often in garden. this is Warrington S.E. outskirts, Cheshire UK.

on a couple of occasions i have heard a very deep 'cronk, cronk, cronk' type call, much deeper than usual rook or crow 'craaaaks and aaaarghs'. surely this wouldn't be a raven here?

i have rooks and crows around but not often in garden. this is Warrington S.E. outskirts, Cheshire UK.

on a couple of occasions i have heard a very deep 'cronk, cronk, cronk' type call, much deeper than usual rook or crow 'craaaaks and aaaarghs'. surely this wouldn't be a raven here?

Very unlikely.

A

Very unlikely.

A

Why very unlikely Andy?

A decade ago I would probably have agreed, but I have seen/heard Raven's (and I do know the call) far from what historicallyI would have described as their normal haunts in the UK. Several have flown over the house, and I have logged them on 20+ occasions out and about over Surrey/Sussex/Hants on surveys, all in far-inland lowland Britain, both in open countryside and near towns. The last one was yesterday morning on The Burgh near Arundel in Sussex.

I'd agree with 'unusual', perhaps, but not 'unlikely' on this basis unless there are very few records from that part of the UK. I should add I have no experience of their prevalence in the NW outside the Lakes, so you might well be correct!

To jape: listen to some recordings of Raven and if that's what you heard then I'd say that's what it was!

Mick

Last edited:
Why very unlikely Andy?

A decade ago I would probably have agreed, but I have seen/heard Raven's (and I do know the call) far from what historicallyI would have described as their normal haunts in the UK. Several have flown over the house, and I have logged them on 20+ occasions out and about over Surrey/Sussex/Hants on surveys, all in far-inland lowland Britain, both in open countryside and near towns. The last one was yesterday morning on The Burgh near Arundel in Sussex.

I'd agree with 'unusual', perhaps, but not 'unlikely' on this basis unless there are very few records from that part of the UK. I should add I have no experience of their prevalence in the NW outside the Lakes, so you might well be correct!

To jape: listen to some recordings of Raven and if that's what you heard then I'd say that's what it was!

Mick

It's not impossible of course.

http://www.cheshireandwirralbirdatlas.org/species/raven-breeding.htm

A

Last edited:
definitely raven from sound. i know them from many years in Wales and i googled it just now again. if anything deeper than on the recordings i listened to. if something else makes a very deep cronk cronk cronk then of course i shall accept that. it was much deeper than any crow i have heard. i am not counting it except as a possibility and for my own satisfaction until sighted.

Last edited:
definitely raven from sound. i know them from many years in Wales and i googled it just now again. if anything deeper than on the recordings i listened to. if something else makes a very deep cronk cronk cronk then of course i shall accept that. it was much deeper than any crow i have heard. i am not counting it except as a possibility and for my own satisfaction until sighted.

It's a very easy call so if you're happy then that's that.

A

thanks andyadcock. i am not doing any official record keeping so it is for my interest and sharing here only. i am very pleased with what i have identified here so far and the least likely, two sparrowhawks and a woodpecker, i got and published bad but good enough photis of. unfortunately the first sparrowhawk was photographed killing my mutated grey blackbird so i doubt i shall gain any records for original observation. also the mutated sparrows are well known by everyone but me as dunnocks so i am content to wait for the 'raven' to visit again. just checking with you experts on possibilities. for me it is all daily delight.

Last edited:
Ravens have been breeding on Chester Cathedral for several years, so urban Ravens in the area are to be expected :t:

thank you. that is only 25 miles and the peak district the same in other direction so as i am semi-rural rather than urban it looks more possible. i have set an audio record button on my phone which is always nearby.

Suburban Ravens in lowland South Yorkshire on a reasonably frequent basis for several years, though in very small numbers so no, not impossible.

RB

We have had Ravens breeding in the Erewash valley for quite a few years whether they have worked out they can survive wherever a Buzzard can is debatable but they did seem to appear all over around Derby and Burton after Buzzard became common they have nested in Pine and disused man made structures which are not even slightly remote.

Once they learn that towns are safer (far less likely to be shot!) than the countryside, their urban population will increase strongly, just like Peregrine Falcons did :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back