• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waring 3rd Ed (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Hi all,
I'm told this is due soon, is it really worth the update?

It doesn't seem long since I got the 2nd ed and thought that it's a poorer binding than the first, plus if it only contains rare vagrants and species that can only be ID'd through mutilation, I don't think I'll bother?

Cheers, Andy

From the description on Amazon:
"This latest edition of the Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland has been fully revised, updated and restructured, bringing it in line with the latest thinking in taxonomy...New descriptions and illustrations have been included for species that have been newly recorded in Britain and Ireland since the last edition of the guide was published. The text descriptions of all other species - covering field characters and similar species, flight season, life cycle, larval foodplants, and habitat - have been revised and updated where necessary, and particular attention has been paid to updating the distribution information, which is now supported by maps. The revised general introduction explains how the methods of identifying and recording moths have evolved over recent years with the advent of new technologies and as a result of data analysis."

I didn't bother getting the 2nd edition and my original book is now extremely tatty so I've pre-ordered this one (release date is 9th Feb)

David

Thanks for that. Have read most of the pre publicity. I have the 2nd edition so really want to know if it is worth upgrading. Look forward to views of those who can compare in due course.

Hugh

Thanks for that. Have read most of the pre publicity. I have the 2nd edition so really want to know if it is worth upgrading. Look forward to views of those who can compare in due course.

Hugh

Ditto,
if I get it and it's a big IF right now, I hope it's a better binding than the 2nd ed. My 1st ed is still solid despite much use but the later edition already has loose plates.

A

Mine came yesterday. My wife asked 'do you really need another' and to be honest no I don't.

An excellent guide but if you have either of the first two editions I wouldn't bother.

Mine came yesterday. My wife asked 'do you really need another' and to be honest no I don't.
An excellent guide but if you have either of the first two editions I wouldn't bother.

Yes, this sums it up, I think. The new way in which the moths are ordered will take a bit of getting used to and I'm not sure I like the plates all in one section in the middle of the book. It'll be interesting to see how useful the maps are in practice and only time will tell how the binding holds out.

David

Yes, this sums it up, I think. The new way in which the moths are ordered will take a bit of getting used to and I'm not sure I like the plates all in one section in the middle of the book. It'll be interesting to see how useful the maps are in practice and only time will tell how the binding holds out.

David

This is waht I suspected, the arrangement of plates is the same in the 2nd Ed

Thanks for the comments.

A

Many thanks all. I am reluctant to fork out £30+ for just a few additions, especially as I have the others.

Hugh

Many thanks all. I am reluctant to fork out £30+ for just a few additions, especially as I have the others.

Hugh

Likewise.
The Amazon review posted above had me thinking I should get this, rewritten text & maps sounds good. It would be a great improvement (from 1st edition, I never got the 2nd) if the descriptions were written from the same pov as the illustrations, i.e. natural posture. Also current distributions are probably better known and may well have changed since the 1st edition.
However, cash is tight and I don't want to splash out on a new book if I'll still end up using the old one instead. Made that mistake with the Clancy book.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back