• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

Just heard reports of a Barred Warbler at Holme 'on the reserve' (don't know if NOA or NWT though, or what time? Also a Male Montague's Harrier at Titchwell, a Temmincks Stint, 5 Spoonsbills and 4 juv Curlew Sandpipers. Between Holkham and Wells, 2 Red Kites north of A149 in the morning. (none of these seen by me - just thought someone would be interested).

Wow, exciting news about the Fan-tailed warbler in Kent!!!, I have seen one at Holme, many, many years ago - can't remember when though, can anyone else?

Going on a BIG birding day tomorrow, so will post here when I return - Penny

Last edited:
rokermartin said:
Fan tailed Warbler was at Holme between the 29th August to 5th Sept 1976

Fantastic!!! Thank you very much for that, blimey I was VERY young then!!!! I remember it being in the reeds next to NOA car park and if I remember rightly, SOME twitchers had trampled the reeds down in their desperation to see it. Its frightening how time disappears - thats 30 years ago!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Penny

Penny Clarke said:
Fantastic!!! Thank you very much for that, blimey I was VERY young then!!!! I remember it being in the reeds next to NOA car park and if I remember rightly, SOME twitchers had trampled the reeds down in their desperation to see it. Its frightening how time disappears - thats 30 years ago!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Penny
It is as if it was yesterday,but there was no need to trample down the reeds it was most obliging.

POP

First of all I can't believe no one has posted to this thread today!!!!

Other birds in Norfolk today (which I didn't see!) included a Yellow Breasted Bunting at West Runton, a Hoopoe at Cantley Sugar Beet Factory, a Barred Warbler at Holme NOA (which they rang) a Barred Warbler at Sheringham, a Pomarine Skua at Horsey Gap, a Temminck's Stint at Titchwell RSPB and a Nightingale (probable Thrush Nightingale) at Winterton Dunes.

See Post 142

My BIG birding trip today was BLAKENEY POINT

The alarm went off at a bizarre time and I left later than I intended at 6.30am, arriving Coast Guard Cottages, Cley 7.30am and apart from 2 crazy people swimming - yes swimming 3:) I was the first one in the car park!

Very dull weather, I was expecting rain, so I was all kitted out with waterproofs, MASSIVE picnic etc etc. A few pied wagtails were flicking about in the car park, saw a couple of sand martins, several swallows flitting about, a black tailed godwit on marsh by carpark. I started my trudge along the shingle as it was high tide at 8.20am, the odd seal kept popping up to see what was going on. I noticed a dead guillemot on the tide line and a bit further along another one was sitting on the shore, looking very tired, poor thing. The skies looked brighter, as I walked along and everything started to light up as the sun started to flood through the clouds.

7.50am - Not far along the beach, to my left errupted a bird I have NEVER SEEN in my life before and I still don't know what it is????!!!!!!

Very difficult to describe, couldn't really see the colour of belly, coverts or throat as it was flying away from me diagonally (if you see what I mean) in the direction of the carpark, but all the back, rump, wings and tail were slate grey in colour and the outer edges of the wings were jet black; the tail was really long and was NOT forked (someone suggested long tailed Skua). It flew in a boyant manner and with quick wing beats and it made a 'Queek' noise , a couple of seconds interlude and then another 'Queek' a couple of secs etc etc as it flew away. My first thoughts were it must be an 'escape of some sort'. But even if it were WHAT THE BLEEP WAS IT????!!!!! Anybody any ideas, because its going to bug me forever if I don't know!!!!

After this!!!! I carried on to the 'Hood' and looked over at the brambles in far corner to a beautiful scene - lots of Swallows, adults and juvs and House Martins, all looking very busy, waking up, preening, chattering etc in the now beautiful sunlight. I noticed something very different just in front of them, again on the bramble, a female Ortolan Bunting!!!!!!!!!!!! It sat in the same spot quite a while, quite content to just sit in the sun. Wow! what a morning so far!

There was a continous stream, of common and sandwich terns and lots of ringed plover I noticed, counted 8 ringed plover on the shore and another 23 in flight further up. Saw several Little Egrets, so common now, but still lovely to see. Another birder caught me up and together we saw two lovely Yellow Wagtails. On reaching the 'Plantation' it was alive with birds and I got very excited, but ONLY Linnets, there was not ONE warbler in there!!!!! Only Linnets and OH wait for it - female Reed Buntings and yes they looked lovely in now glorious sunlight, but an icterine or even maybe a bee eater or something would be have been better!!! Sat down had a cup of tea and early lunch, it was now 10.30ish, my stomach told me it was about 1.30pm!

Further along had a chat with the Assistant Warden who said he had seen nothing but a chiff chaff by the lupins which has been here 3 months anyway! I shouldn't laugh but a really amusing incident happened, a lady asked the A.W. the way back to the village from here (she had walked from carpark 5 miles, same as me and thought she could just cross over!!!!) She was horrified when she realised she had to walk the same 5 mile route back!!!! I turned and smiled (wicked I know!). Anyway, walked round to Tern Hide, not a lot there, 3 curlew and 1 whimbrel. Walked back round to plantation to bump into a birder I knew who had come out to see my Ortolan Bunting (he hadn't seen it). There was virtually nothing in plantation now, it all went dead, so trudged back along the beach for a while, just to walk on hard sand (lovely treat!) and then turned back in just before 'The Hood' to see if I could see my bunting again. The birder and his friends I knew appeared ahead of me and they were walking along the shingle faster than they should be on a return journey from the point! He explained when we met, that someone else had seen the Ortolan on 'The Hood' - so we all headed in that direction - nobody could find it. Don't know who saw it again. But on the same bramble a beautiful female Whinchat appeared for us. Saw a wheatear on the way back and a quick glimpse of a odd looking pipit, that was very upright, bigger than meadow pipit, and had a burst of running, then stop, run, stop -disappeared into thin air!!! Got back to carpark 4pm, collapsed in my camp chair, stuffed chocolate and guzzled tea and then left.

Wanted to go to Walsey Hills while I was here, but needed to collect something from Cley Spy so headed in that direction instead. There was a MASSIVE traffic block of holiday makers in Cley, never seen it like that before, took aged to get through and got to Cley Spy at 4.59pm (they close at 5pm!).

Stopped at Holkham, Lady Anne's Drive for a quick scan and tea break. Did not walk anywhere, absolutely shattered. Stopped again at Burnham Norton car park in hope of seeing something in carpark bushes like a woodchat shrike or something (ha ha), but nothing and then carried on to Holme and even though I was tired, something made me go to Holme Marsh Bird Reserve, where they have 3 hides and pools (brilliant little spot this) Sedge was overgrown in 1st hide, nothing in here. Hide 2, not much there either (very unusual this) Oh a headless Snipe was stuck on a branch of tree about 5ft up just here (hope you are not eating at this point!). Hide 3 - more eventful - a Saturday night barbeque get together of 39 Egyptian Geese! Normally see marsh harrier from here, but not today. 2 or 3 herons waiting for fish, but not alot else. Jay on the way back. Dropped in parents for a yarn and then back to King's Lynn to get ready for work in the morning. Have to work Bank Hol Mon for a few hours, think I will go to Holme after that. Happy Birding :gn: :girl:

Penny Clarke said:
7.50am - Not far along the beach, to my left errupted a bird I have NEVER SEEN in my life before and I still don't know what it is????!!!!!!

Very difficult to describe, couldn't really see the colour of belly, coverts or throat as it was flying away from me diagonally (if you see what I mean) in the direction of the carpark, but all the back, rump, wings and tail were slate grey in colour and the outer edges of the wings were jet black; the tail was really long and was NOT forked (someone suggested long tailed Skua). It flew in a boyant manner and with quick wing beats and it made a 'Queek' noise , a couple of seconds interlude and then another 'Queek' a couple of secs etc etc as it flew away. My first thoughts were it must be an 'escape of some sort'. But even if it were WHAT THE BLEEP WAS IT????!!!!! Anybody any ideas, because its going to bug me forever if I don't know!!!!

What shape was it and how big, Penny - some idea would help! Call and flight jizz sounds vaguely like a tern - black tern maybe (although tail slightly forked & not very long!)? Did the person who suggested it was a LT-Skua actually see the bird? Fine tail streamers are very long and couldn't really be confused with too may other things!

Brief description and call could both point to L-t Skua, but as Deb says more info would help.

If it was you are probably one of the few birders to have heard one in the UK, most of us have to make do with distant fly pasts!

Hi Norfolk people,

Also planning a trip to Norfolk soon, never been to this part of the world before. My question is where would be a good place in Norfolk to stay for a couple of nights, in easy reach of some of the good birding sites. We'd like to stay somewhere with a few good pubs and restaurants so we can chill out in the evenings B :)

Any advice would be much appreciated ;)

kstar

deborah4 said:
What shape was it and how big, Penny - some idea would help! Call and flight jizz sounds vaguely like a tern - black tern maybe (although tail slightly forked & not very long!)? Did the person who suggested it was a LT-Skua actually see the bird? Fine tail streamers are very long and couldn't really be confused with too may other things!

Deborah and Rob

Very sorry, no excuses I know for not not giving a full description, but had a vey bad nights sleep before I went to Blakeney Point and struggled to walk it, so exhausted when I got back, don't know how I even typed my post!!! Sorry couldn't not give answer until now, have been at work early this morning and have to go back again this afternoon, won't be able to answer this thread again until after 9.15ish tonight.

The person who suggested it was LT Skua didn't see it, he was discussing it on the phone with me. It wasn't a tern, it was a heavier body than a tern, belly more rounded, it was bigger than a tern, difficult to say how much bigger, about a third bigger, the tail was very long and was definately not forked and tapered off slightly to a blunt end, was NOT streamered. It didn't flick about like a tern, if you know what I mean. When I first saw it, it flew up from a pool area by marsh.

Actually looking Collins 'Bird Guide' page 167 - it describes a juvenile long tailed skua as 'A few have longer stubby 'points at rear of tail than any juvenile Parasitic.'. Would it possible to be a juvenile long tailed skua maybe?
Speak to you later - Penny

Hi Kstar 76:

We always find Wells-next-the Sea is a good base for exploring the north coast -both ways. The Cobblers is a nice guest house, as is the Normans in the village. The Bowling Green serves good food but best to book for a meal in the evening. Two or 3 other pubs for good food - think one is called the Ark Royal - and the Edinburgh rings a bell but I may be wrong about this. There are always lots of B&B adverts for Norfolk in Birdwatching mag. and the RSPB Birds mag. Stand by for other replies with members' favourite places.

Sandra

Last edited:
kstar_76 said:
Hi Norfolk people,

Also planning a trip to Norfolk soon, never been to this part of the world before. My question is where would be a good place in Norfolk to stay for a couple of nights, in easy reach of some of the good birding sites. We'd like to stay somewhere with a few good pubs and restaurants so we can chill out in the evenings B :)

Any advice would be much appreciated ;)

kstar

wells next the sea would have plenty of places to stay and dine out.

many good birding sites can be reached on foot via the coast path!
the link below has information on the local area and ammenities in wells

http://hometown.aol.com/wellsonsea/index.html

matt

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice

Many thanks for your advice Sandra and Matt :t:

It sounds like a nice place to stay and isn't far from some of the places we want to visit, will deffo check out some of those watering holes whilst there B :)

can I also ask would september be a good time to visit (in terms of the birds we might see)?

Any time is good for a visit to Norfolk kstar. I'd have thought Norwich would be a good place to stay - being right in the middle with easy access to north coast, east coast (and the bits in between), the broads and north Suffolk / Minsmere etc

Anyhow, took a ride around Horsey & Hickling this morning, called in on the way round to Rush Hills scrape (btw, does anyone know how on earth the word 'Hills' got in here ?, given that its in the middle of one of the flattest places in the UK)

TG423 209, along Weavers Way footpath

nothing of any real consequence with the water levels being quite high at the minute but still some ducks & waders, 2 Little Grebes, Ruff, Ringed Plovers, Lapwings etc. A few House Martins & Swallows. 1 Marsh Harrier and Kestrel around & about and a few Yellowhammers in the fields down the lane

3 harriers from Stubb Mill

a Barn Owl near Horsey Mill and a Green Woodpecker somewhere-or-other, etc

90p for a cup of tea at the mill tea shack

gutted

Yesterday we took grandson out to the beach. So we took him to Winterton in the hope of a quick wander around the dunes. Well we did get a bit of a wander in between building sandcastles, but didn't see anything special. So I log in tonight and find that there was a b*-**y hoopoo 60 yards from the car park (and a pied fly on the south side). And I was there and I didn't see them!!!

I must have been within 100 yards of that hoopoo - and I was building b***y sandcastles. When that lad's older he ain't half going to get grief for that.

HarassedDad said:
Yesterday we took grandson out to the beach. So we took him to Winterton in the hope of a quick wander around the dunes. Well we did get a bit of a wander in between building sandcastles, but didn't see anything special. So I log in tonight and find that there was a b*-**y hoopoo 60 yards from the car park (and a pied fly on the south side). And I was there and I didn't see them!!!

I must have been within 100 yards of that hoopoo - and I was building b***y sandcastles. When that lad's older he ain't half going to get grief for that.

My goodness thats awful, I would have been livid as I haven't seen a hoopoe for years, the last time was at Holme, a long, long time ago, I seem to miss all others that have been in Norfolk.

TODAY'S BIRDING

This morning I had to go to work and by the time I had detoured to Holme via Sandringham, Snettisham, Sedgeford and Ringstead as the bank holiday traffic was stationary from Sandringham (good job I know the back roads!)!!! it was mid afternoon.

Arrived at Holme Bird Observatory to rain, sun, rain, hailstones, sun, rain etc etc, no birds really to report, the warden hadn't seen much either, oh I did see one common whitethroat and lots of swallows circling in the sky after a few cracks of thunder. Saw a young kestrel sitting on the wires down Firs Road from HBO. The only interesting, amusing sight of the day was when I went to NOA's Redwell Marsh Hide in hope of some Yellow wags dropping in. On the telegraph wire in front of hide sat about 16 swallows happily enjoying a spell of sunshine, when a young pied wagtail dropped in the wire as well - he decided to hop along to the nearest swallow on purpose to disturb it, which it did, the swallow flew up and then he moved on to the next, swallow flys up and so on until they all flew off! When all the swallows re-landed he did they same again! A couple of swallows did flip!! and tried to attack him back, but he wasn't bothered, he just carried on annoying them, it was highly amusing to watch! There was a couple of stock doves as well and that was about it. :gn:

I am hoping to visit Norfolk next week from 8th - 16th, we would be staying at Hunstanton if we do manage to get there. Any information of any shape or form would be gratefully received. I am hoping for a few lifers, what I would like to know especially is a) The best place for Stone Curlews if they are still about. b) Will Montagues Harrier still be there? c) Where is the best place to see Cranes? d) The best place to provide most sps in one day?

Cheers
Iain

iainvaughan said:
I am hoping to visit Norfolk next week from 8th - 16th, we would be staying at Hunstanton if we do manage to get there. Any information of any shape or form would be gratefully received. I am hoping for a few lifers, what I would like to know especially is a) The best place for Stone Curlews if they are still about. b) Will Montagues Harrier still be there? c) Where is the best place to see Cranes? d) The best place to provide most sps in one day?

Cheers
Iain
Hi Iain, hope you enjoy you holiday in Norfolk. Hunstanton is a good base to be in. Best fish 'n' chips - Vegas!!! Tescos in Hunstanton as well.

First of all can I strongly recommend you buy 'Best Birdwatching Sites in Norfolk by Neil Glenn (2nd edition just come out as well, I have it!) £16.95 ISSN 0144-364 Published by Buckingham Press, this will tell you EVERYTHING IN ABSOLUTE DETAIL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT RESERVES IN NORFOLK.

The best place for Stone Curlews is Weeting Heath, visitor centre there and hides to view the stone curlews, Weeting Heath (Norfolk Wildlife Trust www.wildlifetrust.org.uk) is only about 4 miles from RSPB Lakenheath Fen as well (I always visit these together), where the golden orioles are, but they will be gone by then, but fantastic reserve for general stuff including bittern, marsh harrier, kingfisher, hobbies skimming over the water for dragonflies etc (see RSPB website). Weeting Heath is about 30 miles from where I live in King's Lynn + 18 miles to Hunstanton, so about 48/50 miles. Montagues Harriers I am not totally up on, someone else will maybe post this info, though still quite sensitive I think. Best places for cranes, Horsey/Winterton. Best all round place in probably Titchwell RSPB, but there is so much on coast, you have RSPB Snettisham (between King's Lynn and Hunstanton) about a 5 mile walk round the hides. Hunstanton cliffs of course for seawatching, Holme next Sea of course, famous for rarities, the Norfolk Wildlife Trust, 'Holme Dunes Reserve' and Norfolk Ornithologists Assocation (noa.org.uk), 'Holme Bird Observatory' (both seperate organisations, you can pay to go to one or the other or both. After Holme, you have Titchwell RSPB, Choosley Drying Barnes (dotterel there recently), Brancaster Marsh, Burnham Norton Marshes, Holkham Pines, Blakeney Point, Stiffkey Fen and of course the NWT famous Cley Marshes, Walsey Hills (NOA) Salthouse, Beeston Bump, Sheringham Cliffs, Winterton Dunes etc etc etc!!!

Have a brilliant time. Best Wishes Penny :hi:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back