• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Teleconverters (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
I am awaiting the arrival of my 990 but was wondering about add-on lenses. Do all of nikon add-on lenses go right on the camera or will an adapter be necessary? Thanks

All the Nikon teleconverters will fit straight on to the cp990's 28mm threaded lens. The TC3-ED 3x converter is extremely good K.C. but it does cost. The 2x converters are o.k. And there's also the famous Eagle Eye 5x converter, but that needs a cheap stepping ring to get it to the 28mm of the Nikons.
Regards,
Andy

Guess I know where the tax refund is going then :) I figured I might as well be able to use the higher mp camera w/o scope as well. LOL, there I go justifying again. Thank you Andy.

I use the Eagle Eye 5X Zoom that Andy referred to above, in my almost daily birding misadventures.

Most of my birding is done from a vehicle; acts as a very nice "blind-hide". The camera plus lens is rested on a bean bag.

I think there might be some light gathering loss though.
So far I'm happy with the results. Looking forward to viewing your pics with the TC3-ED.

Goodluck with your new camera and lens.

I don't know Bob, I might be tempted to go with the 5x. How heavy is it when you are holding the camera? I went to eagle eye but perhaps I am looking at the wrong converter cause the one I found said it wouldn't be available til June of this year.

KC.

The one you should be looking for is the 37mm threaded one Look for the EagleEye OpticZoom 5x Telephoto Lens. The new (EagleEye 400z Telephoto Lens) one available in June ia a similar lens but for other cameras such as the Fuji, Sony and Olympus with larger diameter threaed lens.

Just go to Products -> Lenses and you should find it.

Thank you for that info. Going to go look for it now and hope the price doesn't scare me away. :)

KC, Nikon Boy gave you the scoop on EaglEye.
The weight is not a factor I would worry about unless you mount on a tripod or monopod, then you'll need a front support for lens.The bean bag works fine for me. The Nikon TC3 might be lighter and less bulky.

KC,
Since you are in the US, it is cheaper to get the Eagle Eye Opticzoom from www.photosolve.com in the US.

Yes the EE Opticzoom is quite small in size and weight maybe lighter than the TC-3.

Also, you may need to use a tripod with the EE Opticzoom as you have to manully focus the lens.

I use the Eagle Eye opticzoom. I situations where I am photographing a static subject it is ok hand held. I use monopod quite successfully when I need to.

Robin

KC,

It's the UK EagleEye that does the optic zoomEagleEye , which is maybe why you didn't see it before. There is a USA company by the same name but isn't connected. The Photosolve one looks to be the same as the UK one. I have had one for years. They can give very good results, but like digiscoping you need to practice a fair bit. It is very heavy as it's all metal and you lose 2-3 f stops of light. Personally I find it gives far better results by adding the B300 onto the front. Images appear sharper and light gathering is far better giving faster shutter speeds.
Due to the weight, I tend to hold the actual lens rather than the camera. In fact more often than not I mount it on a tripod like a digiscope set up, though you can get away with a monpod. EagleEye do a separate a tripod mount which is well worth having.
Whilst the zoom is fixed a 5x, half of the barrel of the lens rotates for focussing. When somewhere near, the camera autofocus can take over.
The optic zoom has a 37 mm thread, so you need a step ring to mount it on the Nikons.

Last edited:
Thank you all. Your feedback has been enlightening. My intent was to really get to know the camera for a few months before I try hooking it up to my raven scope but I still wanted to have a higher magnification power being used to the 10x optical on my oly. With a 28 mm lens thread I may very well be able to use the adapter I have now and the B300. Although if I add anything else to that setup I might as well go for the 5x.
My concern is being able to lie low (not literally, but on some occasions) in the woods and I'm not sure how easy that would be with two tripods. I have copied and pasted this thread in my notes and Nikon Boy thank you for the US link. Gonna head that way now.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back