• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF 80ED advice? (1 Viewer)

Good for you Nic!

As I have said before, I love mine, Hope yours works out as well. Please do get one of the Pentax fixed focal eyepieces.... They ARE truly fantastic!

Mike

Let me put in a vote for the straight Pentax scope (or any scope). The swivel mechanism on a CP4500 or CP995 makes the "viewing convenience factor" less important, and, just as importantly, using an angled scope on a car window adapter is a veritable nightmare. And the straight scope is less expensive, as well. Just my two cents' worth on that one.

Also: I posted previously (seems like a long time ago) about the Pentax eyepiece issue. I did get a Pentax XL28 eyepiece, and you know, I have found that the finished photos are just about the same as with the William Optics DCL-28 (24mm.) The WO eyepiece is really an excellent buy, IMHO, and for people getting the Pentax scopes that's the one I'd recommend.

As for Cindy's original post way back when: if she wants to use the 20-60x zoom eyepiece for digiscoping, she could contact Cheang Kuen Seng, who makes an excellent adapter for this system. His email address in Malaysia is [email protected]

Pentax 80mm

Good Luck with your new scope. While I don't have mine anymore I believe it is the absolute best "bang for the buck" when it comes to scopes. While not quite the optical equivalent of the latest and greatest from Swaro, Zeiss or Leica it can be had for around half the price.

I bought mine based on the BVD review and because it was sharper at higher powers than my Swaro ST80. The build quality may be a little lower than the big threes' and it is somewhat heavier. The focus knob came off mine after 3 years. I sent it in to Pentax in Colo. and it came back repiared in 2-3 weeks.

I sold it for various reasons and purchased the new Swaro ATS 80 HD. Although my shoulder is happier, my bank account isn't.

mkoreiwo said:
Good for you Nic!

As I have said before, I love mine, Hope yours works out as well. Please do get one of the Pentax fixed focal eyepieces.... They ARE truly fantastic!

Mike

Thanks!

I actually ordered a SMC XW 20 eyepiece together with the scope (and the zoom eyepiece). Maybe the XW 14 will be the next buy. I ordered it from USA, so my only concern is actually the warranty. Maybe I can get an international warranty. Is there anyone having any experience of that?

How is the 10mm 50x? eyepiece

Hi

I'm new to the forum thanks for the info.

I'm wondering if anyone has used the 10mm (50x) Pentax eyepiece?

Good results as with the 14 and 21 above?

Also, the Pentax fixed eyepieces I find for sale are "XW" rather than "XL" as mentioned in the post above by Jay. Any experience with those?

Thanks!
Craig Ryder

I have the 14mm and it is excellent, very bright, decent eye relief... can't fin fault with it. O believe that the XW is just the "new" name for the eyepieces. That's the designation I have... Maybe you could try the 10 and exchange it if you're not satisfied...?

Mike
Ryder said:
Hi

I'm new to the forum thanks for the info.

I'm wondering if anyone has used the 10mm (50x) Pentax eyepiece?

Good results as with the 14 and 21 above?

Also, the Pentax fixed eyepieces I find for sale are "XW" rather than "XL" as mentioned in the post above by Jay. Any experience with those?

Thanks!
Craig Ryder

The XW's are new, but similar designs to the XL. They have 70 degree fields instead of 65, eye relief is the same 20mm . Coatings are supposed to be improved and include the innovation of coating even the cemented surfaces. Each focal length has a slightly different number and arrangement of elements. The 10 and 14 are almost the same, except the 10 has a longer Barlow element which makes the the whole eyepiece longer. The XL has been discontinued.

Last edited:
Hi, again!

I have now used my Pentax spotting scope for some time, and I must say that I am very satisfied. Especially with the XW 20 eyepiece. It is just excellent! As my brother have a new Swarovski ATS 80 (with a the 32x? eyepiece) I have had many opportunities to compare the them. I must say that you can't really see the difference!!! Both scopes have an exceptionally sharp view right out to the very edges. (It is also my brothers opinion that they are just as good to spot birds through.) The price is a heavy vote for the Pentax, and the somewhat lighter scope a vote for Swarovski.

One more thing:
I cannot understand the different european tests on the Pentax scope that I have read before ordering my scope (Norwegian and Finnish). One can wonder if they ever had the scope and took it out for birding!! Totally useless tests is my verdict!

Nic

Using a Coolpix 4500

Hi,

I am considering getting a pentax 80ed. How do you adapt the fixed eyepieces like the XW14 or XW20 to a Coolpix 4500 ?

Gary

cindy said:
Hello all! I have found a Pentax PF-80ED for about $700 which includes a 20-60 zoom eyepiece. I realize that eventually I will need a different eyepiece for digiscoping, but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or thoughts on this particular scope? I have been saving for a scope and want to buy something that is going to last and that will provide good quality. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Cindy
Kettering, Ohio

Hi this is my first posting so bear with me. I bought this scope on the strength of BVD rave review (with big zoom). I must have been one the first to have one in the UK. At first everything seemed fine, I liked the almost 3D image, the large focus wheel and the large apparent field of the zoom at higher powers. The problems started when I used it in sunny conditions. I started noticing flare which got worse as the sun got lower. In fact on my model it was so bad as to produce a green/pink crescent in the bottom half of the scope. I am talking demanding conditions but no other scope I have tried has produced this effect. It was caused by direct sunlight catching the "ring"(baffle?) that the objective lens sits in.
Needless to say eventually after a long battle I forced a refund from the dealer.I can't believe I am the only one to have noticed this.
Other points to bear in mind (may have been noted elsewhere), the zoom is very stiff to turn and the coverglass inside the scope is so recessed as to be vitually impossible to clean, so changing eyepieces in the field would need care.
The moral is try before you buy. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back