• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fair price for a used Swaro EL 8.5x42 (1 Viewer)

Ramps

I would like to buy a non Swarovision EL 8.5 x42, as I can't justify £1710 for the current model.

I have spotted a 2003 Swarobright El 8.5x42 at a dealers.
The bins is in excellent condition with original box and accessories. The dealer is asking £900.
Is this a fair price for an older model? It will have a six month dealer warranty.

I would like to buy a non Swarovision EL 8.5 x42, as I can't justify £1710 for the current model.

I have spotted a 2003 Swarobright El 8.5x42 at a dealers.
The bins is in excellent condition with original box and accessories. The dealer is asking £900.
Is this a fair price for an older model? It will have a six month dealer warranty.

You need to check if it is the slow focus (2.5 revolutions of the focus wheel) or fast focus (1.5 revolutions)--most birders prefer the faster focus. I think you could get a better deal--not sure what a dealer warranty would cover.

You need to check if it is the slow focus (2.5 revolutions of the focus wheel) or fast focus (1.5 revolutions)--most birders prefer the faster focus. I think you could get a better deal--not sure what a dealer warranty would cover.

Karmantra,
Thanks for your advice. For clarity, it is the slow focus version.

Ramps,

Have you considered a new 8x42 SLC instead?

I'm not sure what pricing you have over there but right now, but here in the states, you can get a demo SLC for $1499 / 919 pound, and a new one on anniversary sale for $1555 / 953 pound.

Personally, I'd go that route if possible.

Mark

Mark,

I had not considered the 8x42 SLC.
Just checked a few UK prices and they appear to be around £1180 , brand new.
However, a S/H or ex demo pair may turn up markedly cheaper.
When I next get the opportunity, I will test a pair for comparison with the EL, which I must say I do already like
Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back