• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

18-20 mm eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the boost of confidence Bryce. No luck today either but I am keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow or Friday. I have the inexpensive Scopetronix zoom on order too so hopefully one of them will show up shortly.

;)

Well, the eyepiece arrived today.

It was not what I expected.

Optically they perform quite well. The apparent field of view is noticeably narrower than the Swan though it is just as bright and maybe a tad sharper. Edge sharpness seems to be very good but I pick up noticeable color fringing around the outer edge of the image.

The physical design is what caught me off guard. Judging by the picture on the website I thought the physical size of the eyepiece was going to be closer to the Pentax XW with a similar twist/slide eyecup design. Neither is the case. This unit is actually a bit narrower than the Swan (light path) with a dual (unique) locking eyecup and inset adjustment collar (for lack of a better term). I will take some pics of it tomorrow and post it.

Sounds like the design of my Siebert Performance series eyepiece. The upside to that design is it makes for an outstanding video scoping eyepiece.

CP,

I have a feeling this would make a very interesting digiscoping eyepiece as the apparent field of view seems wide enough to avoid vignetting...plus the center 2/3rds is fairly free of CA. I like the overall design but as I said it was not quite what I was expecting. Definitely different from the 18 mm Ultra I had previously.

As an update I sent the Siebert eyepiece back as it just wasn't what I was looking for. So the search continues. I am fairly wells satisfied with the SWAN but decided to pick up two more eyepieces to tinker with.

One, I have always wanted an inexpensive zoom to keep on hand so I ordered the Celestron 8-24 mm. It arrived today and I am satisfied with its performance for the price. I have not tinkered with it much yet as it only arrived just before dark but I will experiment more with it tomorrow.

Also, I found the Meade 5000 series Plossl. I know, folks assume Plossl's all have reasonably restricted fields of view (the average was between 45 and 52 degrees from my little bit of research) but the Plossly mentioned above actually has a 60 degree field of view. Initial impressions are all very promising. The image is sharp overall...sharp to the edge and very flat. It even has a conventional eyecup design. I am going to experiment with it tomorrow as well so hopefully I will have more to post.

(Also, as a side note, I tried ordering a Scopetronix zoom from the website. The order appeared to go through as I received a confirmation email from the company....I must assume it was an automated response based on later experiences. After two weeks and two follow up emails on my part I heard nothing from them about my order. I tried calling the number on the website and it is now disconnected. I must assume the company is no longer in business. I sincerely wish they would disable their website though as I wonder how many individuals have gone down the road that I just did.)

CP,

No biggie. The Celestron seems to fill the role I was going to use the Scopetronix for. Overall I enjoy the optical performance for a zoom of this price. At 24 mm it is very bright, reasonably sharp and has good edge sharpness. At 8 mm it is noticeably dimmer but still reasonably sharp with little noticeable CA. That was a bit of a surprise.

I am really warming up to the Meade 5000 series Plossl though. I cannot really find anything to fault it for. It reminds me quite a bit of a "mini-Pentax" both in terms of its physical size and its optical performance (70 vs. 60 degree field of view). It seems very well put together and I think the apparent sharpness is actually a hair better than the SWAN (which I also enjoy using quite a bit).

Frank, still no luck? I was ready to pull the trigger on an XW over on CLNY but, at the last minute ordered Nikon SE 8x32. Still holding-out so to say! Probably will end up going that way if nothing surfaces??? Oh well I've been intrigued by the little Nikon for quite some time but, that's another thread!!! Bryce...

Recently bought a Vixen NLV (Lanthanum) newer version with twist up eyecups in 20mm. I really like this EP, it may not be a wide field EP but in my PF 65ED-A it is tack sharp from one edge to the other with excellent color and contrast! I like it much better than the Swan, better eyerelief, comfort and to me much more contrasty, sharper and natural color rendition! This is one I will most likely use along with my other XW EP's. To some who are more used to wide-fields it might give the tunnel vision effect, to me it's other +'s make it a keeper, awesome view!!! I have always prefered a wider view to me it compares with the XW10 in regards to fov. I will have to use it a little more but I would say it might not be as bright? As say the XW14? Color and resolution is top notch!!! Bryce...

Thanks for the tip Bryce. I have been eyein' up those Vixen ED eyepieces. The 52 degree field of view is the only thing that has held me from ordering one. For the $60 or so odd dollars they are going for though I might have to order one just for the heck of it.

Really better than the Swan? I am pretty happy with it but am equally happy with the Mead 5000 series Plossl as well. I am going to be taking both up to the local hawkwatch this month to see which performs better under those conditions.

Oh, and there was an Orion eyepiece...the "Edge On" if I remember correctly that looked very promising based on the specs alone. I will probably order it and report.

Frank, I think we are talking different EP's? The one I have list's for $179.00 I believe? I got it for less on an auction. It has twist up eyepiece the older version has rubber roll down. The fov sounds the same. The more I use it the more I like it!!! Resolution is top-notch! Bryce...

I liked the Vixen so well just ordered the new click stop zoom EP! Spec's are close to the XF which I already have. The Vixen 8-24mm, 60 degrees at 8mm and 40 at 24mm, eyerelief with twist-up eyecups 15-19 and weight is 9 oz. XF zoom 6.5-19.5mm, 60 degrees and 42, eyerelief 11-15, don't remember the weight? Neither have overly wide fov. But with all the negative response on the XF which I find very usable when I have the need for a zoom, this might be an exceptable alternative. I know from reading older post's on this forum and other's that people had good luck with the older Vixen EP. This new EP is just like there GLH zoom on the Geoma spotter's but, has click stop and more Lanthanum glass elements. So I don't think there should be any problems reaching infinate focus on the Pentax, barrel length is the same and I was told it works great? Bryce...

I liked the Vixen so well just ordered the new click stop zoom EP! Spec's are close to the XF which I already have. The Vixen 8-24mm, 60 degrees at 8mm and 40 at 24mm, eyerelief with twist-up eyecups 15-19 and weight is 9 oz. XF zoom 6.5-19.5mm, 60 degrees and 42, eyerelief 11-15, don't remember the weight? Neither have overly wide fov. But with all the negative response on the XF which I find very usable when I have the need for a zoom, this might be an exceptable alternative. I know from reading older post's on this forum and other's that people had good luck with the older Vixen EP. This new EP is just like there GLH zoom on the Geoma spotter's but, has click stop and more Lanthanum glass elements. So I don't think there should be any problems reaching infinate focus on the Pentax, barrel length is the same and I was told it works great? Bryce...

Hello "Stereo",

Please let us know your thoughts this new Vixen Zoom EP....I currenly use the Pentax XW20 on my PF-65 (which offers a fine wide view) but may fancy a zoom down the road.
Best Regards,
Tom

Just recieved the Vixen zoom yesterday. Size wise almost identical to XF zoom, fits the PF 65 ED A perfect. I will post more later but, first impressions are definetly positive no problem reaching infinate focus at all magnifications, more than ample eyerelief for all users. I will say that at 16.25x it is the brightest and sharpest view I've had on my particular scope quite phenomenal to say the least!!! I think for a lot of people who don't want to break the bank on a zoom for the Pentax this could be the modern zoom alot of you are looking for. Lot's of eyerelief unlike that of the XF. And the mags are better suited to the scope to, 16x-48x! I'm one of the few that like the XF but for what I use a zoom for it has always suited me just fine! Build quality still favors the Pentax EP, will do some direct comparison's later. Still this EP lists for 200+ US and I got mine for roughly 150 US I think it is a bargain, dont think for the money you can do any better for this particular scope!!! Bryce...

Pentax XL and XW Eyepieces

Greetings all, I just want to throw out there that I have five Pentax eyepieces for sale. They are all like new, still in the box. Asking $250.00 ea
XL-7
XL-21
XL-28
XW-10
SMC zoom 8-24mm (20-60x)

Hmm, that SMC zoom would be nice as would the 21 mm. For $250 they are a steal. If I didn't have money invested in other optical issues at the moment I would jump on one of them.

I have been able to get a hold of an XW20 thanks to another forum member or I would of jumped on the XL21! I know from using the Vixen zoom over the weekend that the PF 65ED will produce some astounding views below 20x! Frank I know you like wide fov's but the Vixen zoom will now be my go to zoom on my scope when I feel the need. Might be of interest to you? Somewhere I know you said you picked up a Celestron? Bryce.

Yes, I still have the Celestron and am content with it for the price. I cannot really say the same for the original Vixen Lanthanum. Maybe the newer version would be better for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back