• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's the best way to carry a scope? (1 Viewer)

Bluetail

Senior Moment
I've always carried my scope-and-tripod on a strap slung over my right shoulder. Over the years it's taken its toll on my neck muscles and I'm apt to get bad tension headaches because of it. I need to find a less harmful way of carrying it. Ideally it should be some way that does not put undue strain on any particular muscle, but still allows quick deployment when needed. Any brainwaves?

I'm looking at some methods, but have nothing concrete to report yet... maybe one possibility is two tripod straps adjusted so the scope is carried sort of like a backpack?

GR

Jason, just spent a week in North Norfolk, visited Cley-Spey on my 1st day and purchased a tripod-scope carrier. It is like a ruck-sack that attaches to your tripod and scope and means you can carry your scope on your back and not your shoulder. I suffer from a back condition and found this new way of carrying my scope a revelation, because the weight is more evenly balanced it is much more comfortable. It costs £49.99 and they do mail order, if you need any more info PM me me and I can give you the address, hope this helps. ;)

An alternative method which I'm still using is the Mondell harness which enables a hands free carrying of the scope/tripod in a cross-body harness with a quick release clip. Here's a thread with the info. on where to get it - Mondell harness

Hi Paul, I hope you had a good holiday :t:

BrianB said:
Does anyone else go with you? ;)
Occasionally - but I don't want to give her yet another thing to moan about!

Many thanks indeed for the helpful suggestions. The Mondell sounds interesting. Any chance of a photo, Ian?

I also have the Mondell tripod strap and it's the best thing I've ever used. You don't have to constantly readjust it, as you do when carrying it over your shoulder, or with other shoulder straps that keep slipping off.

I will try and get a photo for you. It's unfortunate that they don't have a website, but they will gladly send you a catalogue.

They do have a couple of designs, but the Speyside is the best one. My sister bought the sling-type one with three clip fasteners, but it's very awkward to get the tripod back into - you need three hands for holding the tripod while you try and clip the three clips back together.

Ive seen several people using the Cley spey back harness and they've all said how comfortable it was to carry the scope on their backs.

The CleySpy harnesses do look very good, but when you carry other stuff in a backpack anyway, such as camera gear, you can't really use one of those carriers.

For me, the best way to carry a tripod and scope has to be one where you can get it into action quickly. I don't think that this rucksack style carrier would do for me, however comfy it is.

I bought a stretchy tripod strap from In Focus (actually my wife bought me it, come to think of it) and have one end holding the tripod legs together and the other around the head; I have the tripod legs extended and the central shaft at a usable height so that I can get my scope into use within a few seconds. It is amazing how long it can take some people to get sorted out.

Steve

digi-birder said:
The CleySpy harnesses do look very good, but when you carry other stuff in a backpack anyway, such as camera gear, you can't really use one of those carriers.

Oh yes you can! ;)

Cley Spy tripod harness (which for those of you who have not seen one is a triangle with two shoulder straps on it that attaches neatly, apex at the top, in between two of the legs on your tripod - you never have to take it off the tripod) and a Tamrac Velocity-7 bag for the DSLR, which can be worn on the back (as illustrated at http://www.tamrac.com/5747.htm ) or swung round to be carried at the front or side.

I guess from that description I will now be readily identifiable in the field! :bounce:

redshift said:
Oh yes you can! ;)

Cley Spy tripod harness (which for those of you who have not seen one is a triangle with two shoulder straps on it that attaches neatly, apex at the top, in between two of the legs on your tripod - you never have to take it off the tripod) and a Tamrac Velocity-7 bag for the DSLR, which can be worn on the back (as illustrated at http://www.tamrac.com/5747.htm ) or swung round to be carried at the front or side.

I guess from that description I will now be readily identifiable in the field! :bounce:

Oh no you can't!! ;) At least not with the type of camera backpack that I carry. I wouldn't be able to get two pairs of straps over my shoulders. The Tamrac bag would not hold my camera and lens - I have the Canon 10D and a 50-500 zoom lens, which I lovingly call my Uzi!!

Bluetail said:
I've always carried my scope-and-tripod on a strap slung over my right shoulder. Over the years it's taken its toll on my neck muscles and I'm apt to get bad tension headaches because of it. I need to find a less harmful way of carrying it. Ideally it should be some way that does not put undue strain on any particular muscle, but still allows quick deployment when needed. Any brainwaves?
A rucksack adapted for a tripod and scope carrying! Similar designed products are available from a Norfolk optics selling company, "Spy" something! Costs about £50, but the design can be copied as I have done;)

Basically the design uses 2 of the legs as a rucksack frame, 2 straps are used to even the load just like a rucksack. Mine is a cheapo rucksack that has the neccesary buckles to achieve this and also a waist strap etc.

I can walk to the end of Blakney point over the shingle without being knackered!

digi-birder said:
You can, if you design and make your own. Mine is a Rucksack that's been adapted. Can carry Waterproof/ bird guides etc.

Craven

Steve Lister said:
For me, the best way to carry a tripod and scope has to be one where you can get it into action quickly. I don't think that this rucksack style carrier would do for me, however comfy it is.

I bought a stretchy tripod strap from In Focus (actually my wife bought me it, come to think of it) and have one end holding the tripod legs together and the other around the head; I have the tripod legs extended and the central shaft at a usable height so that I can get my scope into use within a few seconds. It is amazing how long it can take some people to get sorted out.

Steve
One of those bungy jumping straps? Actually, the rucksack style of carrying is just as good because you can use it over one shoulder, just like you do, with the tripod legs extended !

Also if you are tall the R/S design can be used with tripod legs extended as well, Trips up other birders running past to get a tick before you, as well;)

There are qualities that people look for in their equipment, the main ones are -

Ease of use

Comfort

Quality

You have to compromise.

I do a fair amount of "bushwhacking" and need to present as small a profile as possible. I always carry a small pack over my left shoulder on my right hip, it has everything but optics - cleaning supplies, two water bottles, bug spray, guide(s), TP, pepper spray, knife, flashlight, notebook and pencil, food, and drugs (athsma).

My tripod came with a "backpack case", not secure enough to use with a scope attached, but which centers the pod on my back and allows me to balance the weight of my other pack, with the scope under my left arm.

I top this off with my bins, the only thing on my neck, and I am balanced and ready to go anywhere. I am surprised how quickly I can erect the scope/tripod in the field...but it's still a compromise.

When the thoughts of taking photos come to mind (which they do, more and more often), I get queasy... :)

With the thought, "Does anyone else go with you?", I may have to place an advert...under "Sub"?

Oh well, I'll figure it out,

Keep looking up...or down..(wherever they are),

Steve-O

digi-birder said:
Assuming we're thinking of the same harness, there is a big problem with it. If you put the tripod down, the triangular canvas section is prone to catching the wind and tipping the whole lot over.

I'd agree with Jane - as usual!- shoulder pods are very useful indeed. I too can never be arsed with the weight of a big scope on a pod.

just back from NE India and i took my fluorite lightwieght Kowa with me for the first time on a foreign trip ever (with a manfrotto proper pod) as i thought it might come in useful.....wrong again. It only came out once to get close views of a Red Panda. Wish I'd left it at home or bought my shoulder pod then it would have been useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back