• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Field of view" questions (1 Viewer)

spiralcoil

Would find any appreciable differences in practical application between those below binoculars with different "field of view" figures:

1. 8x32 HD's 135m/1000m vs 8x32 EL's 140m/1000m (and the 8x32 FL's 140m/1000m)?

2. 8x32 HD's 135/1000m vs 8x42 HD's 130m/1000m?

3. 10x32 HD's 118m/1000 (or the 10x32 EL's 120m/1000m) vs 10x42 HD's 112m/1000m (or the 10x42 EL's)?

As a practical matter there isn't much difference, at least within the same formats. 5 yards difference at 1000 yards = 15 feet. At 100 yards it is 18 inches. At 100 feet there will be a 6 inch wider FOV. (Hope my math is right here!):scribe: At 100 yards, I can readily see a difference in the FOV between my Nikon 10 x 35 EII @7 degrees and my Nikon 10 x 42 SE @ 6 degrees. That works out to a little more than a 5' difference as far as I can tell.
Bob

As a practical matter there isn't much difference, at least within the same formats. 5 yards difference at 1000 yards = 15 feet. At 100 yards it is 18 inches. At 100 feet there will be a 6 inch wider FOV. (Hope my math is right here!):scribe: At 100 yards, I can readily see a difference in the FOV between my Nikon 10 x 35 EII @7 degrees and my Nikon 10 x 42 SE @ 6 degrees. That works out to a little more than a 5' difference as far as I can tell.
Bob

I see a big difference between those two bins too. Seems even more than a degree because the eyecups on the SE prevent me from seeing the entire FOV (I have to tilt the bins to see the field stop).

I think what needs to be discussed is Apparent Field of View (AFOV).

A 7x50 bin with 7* TFOV gives a stingy 49* AFOV, which to me, looks tunnelesque.

But the 10x35 with a 7* TFOV yields a spacious 70* AFOV that lets your eyes can wander around. Looking at the night sky with the 10x35 EII is the closest I probably ever be to taking a "space walk".

I always consider the AFOV when purchasing a bin, because I don't like claustrophobic views. My rule of thumb is that I prefer a 60* AFOV or more regardless of the configuration. I can go down to 57* and still feel okay, but at 50*, I start screaming, "Let me out, let me out of this closet!" :)

Brock

CADET ROLLER!! Eyes forward! Don't let me see you gawkin' around and lettin' them eyes wander again! UNDERSTOOD!? Now drop and gimme twenny!

CADET ROLLER!! Eyes forward! Don't let me see you gawkin' around and lettin' them eyes wander again! UNDERSTOOD!? Now drop and gimme twenny!

Drill Sgt. Spyglass: Candidate Mayo's strutting in the dirt; Look at his face, he's starting to hurt; Here he is, thinking he's a great big star; But before too long he's gonna D.O.R.; Seen guys like you a hundred times; I'm telling you, Mayo, I'm one of a kind; Gonna give you more than you can take; I'm gonna watch you crumble and watch you break!

Candidate Mayo: Don't you do it! Don't! You... I got nowhere else to go! I got nowhere else to g... I got nothin' else.

I see a big difference between those two bins too. Seems even more than a degree because the eyecups on the SE prevent me from seeing the entire FOV (I have to tilt the bins to see the field stop).

I think what needs to be discussed is Apparent Field of View (AFOV).

A 7x50 bin with 7* TFOV gives a stingy 49* AFOV, which to me, looks tunnelesque.

But the 10x35 with a 7* TFOV yields a spacious 70* AFOV that lets your eyes can wander around. Looking at the night sky with the 10x35 EII is the closest I probably ever be to taking a "space walk".

I always consider the AFOV when purchasing a bin, because I don't like claustrophobic views. My rule of thumb is that I prefer a 60* AFOV or more regardless of the configuration. I can go down to 57* and still feel okay, but at 50*, I start screaming, "Let me out, let me out of this closet!" :)

Brock

Absolutely agree :t:- I wear glasses and getting the a good AFOV can be tricky. This was the reason I fell in love when I realised I could see the total field in the EIIs with my glasses on. It is also the reason I loved the 7x42 SLCs I had - such a shame they get heavier throughout the day!

Paul

Same here. With bins anything below 55* AFOV is too narrow for me, 60* is alright, 65* and more is nice. Anything over 70* is great. That's why I like the old Zeiss Oberkochen 10x50 with its 73* AFOV so much.

I've got a similar rule of thumb for the exit pupil - anything below 4mm is too small. I can go down to 3.75mm, 3.5mm is already marginal, anything smaller doesn't work for me at all. I simply can't use 8x20's for any length of time, and even the Nikon 10x35 EII makes me feel uncomfortable after a while. That's a shame, it's in every other respect one of the nicest 10x bins I know.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back