• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sketching equipment (1 Viewer)

This is indeed fascinating. Now I know what LJ uses! Looking through 'Birds and Light', there's a double spread pic of one of his mind-blowingly good sketchbbok pages complete with what looks like a pen or clutch pencil fastened to the edge of the sketchbook. I've oten mused what it is, and now I know! Off to buy a clutch pencil!

Russ

Now I know what LJ uses! Off to buy a clutch pencil!

Hi Russ

Even with a clutch pen like the one LJ uses I really don´t think that will do it alone ;) , although they are wonderful to use. One thing I know for certain is that whatever he uses doesn´t make that much of a difference. Just like with brushes, there is no “magical” wonder brush / tool – it is hard work, some talent perhaps, but a lot of hard work.

It seems as if your “Avatar” is a spoon billed sandpiper? In case you don´t know LJ went to Chukotka, Siberia in 2010 and on the link below you can see him sketching the spoon billed sandpiper as well as some photos of the species. The link is from our Danish Bird site “Netfugl.dk” which features an English version as well.

Hope you will find it interesting.

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=listpictures&photographer_id=1262&page_nr=3&language=uk

Cheers,
Torben

Hi Torben,
Many thanks for this, I'll certainly take a look. Yes I did read the 'spooner' was Lars' dream bird and he managed to track them down in the breeding areas. I didn't know there was footage of him in action! I don't know what I'd say to the guy if I met him, probabbly turn into a gibbering wreck!
No, seriously it's reassuring that even somebody of his standing as to work at it, and it's not all god-given! Let's face it though, he is The Lionel Messi, The Ussain Bolt, The Roger federer and the Fernando Alonso of bird art world all rolled into one.

I'm glad you can tell it's a spooner - from a field sketch in Thailand.

Most interested in looking at your work.

Kind regards

Russ

Aaaargh! What's that by his side - it looks like a DSLR with an howitzer-sized lens! I'd heard about the use of photographs but didn't want to believe it. Talk about sticking your head in the sand. The sense of betrayal I'm feeling is indescribable!
Next purchase - the lastest Canon and dustbin-sized lens!

Great stuff

Russ

You had better have a wee chat with your bank then. ;) £££££££££££

Here are a few shots from my visit to Gotland last year. Lars is leading a small group one morning out to the coast looking for waders when suddenly the weather turned out very nasty indeed. Guess you can tell from the sky which really looked scary. Within a few minutes hell broke loose. We all managed to get to our cars before the rain and lightning started, but later in the afternoon the entire Gotland was without electricity from around 4 pm, and in some places until the next morning, causing a lot of problems.

Regards,
Torben

Attachments

• Gotland_2010.jpg
    Gotland_2010.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Dramatic-sky-Gotland-2010.jpg
    Dramatic-sky-Gotland-2010.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 79
this thread was a great read, and just jogged my mind today, all of my time sketching I've been using a clutch type pencil, but today after a 8 month layoff ( I've been doing only landscape and seacapes) I did a couple of pages of birds and only had a regular sketching wood pencil, and it seemed to be so much easier....maybe I need to change tools.

Aaaargh! What's that by his side - it looks like a DSLR with an howitzer-sized lens! I'd heard about the use of photographs but didn't want to believe it. Talk about sticking your head in the sand. The sense of betrayal I'm feeling is indescribable!

Great stuff

Russ

LOL, I'm feeling a bit vindicated! I do a few drawings from photos (not all) but if the great man himself does it occasionally I needn't feel bad about it! :news:

i dont know if anyone else went to see Lars at his exhibition at Slimbridge to celebrate 100 years since Peter Scotts birth
However he is a real down to earth guy (obviously with mega talent) i saw his lecture but then it was very busy in the gallery. so i went out to do some drawing an hour later it was nearly empty so i had a good look at his amazing paintings , he then came up to me and we had a really good chat about how he paints and what inspires him, if you get the chance have a chat with the guy its well worth any travelling (couldn't stretch to buy one of his paintings

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back