• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arrow Valley Lake and Park (Redditch) (1 Viewer)

Today was the first day I have been out since May due to work commitments. Good to get out & about! Pair of Kingfishers chasing each other down the Arrow near Howard Road. Got a good shot of a Grey Wagtail & one of a male Bullfinch with a juvenile. Computer is broke so can't share. Found a buzzard perch between the Sailing Club & The bungalows. Even though I have not been out in two months it was there again today, every time I look for it then move as I can't see it, it then emerges from the tree! Large swathes of the river near the Sailing Club where I watched the Kingfishers before are now inaccessible due to vegetation. I could hear them though! Didn't go to Bordesley, can only imagine that would be even worse. Took a walk through Bluebell Wood on my way back to Ipsley Pool & found something unusual half way down (level with the two islands): a kingfisher! What a sight it was flying within the confines of the very slim stream. So agile & manoeurable, I saw it twist & turn round the tight bends then disappear back towards the weir end of the lake. I saw it again down by the weir at the sewage outlet of the same stream & heard it further on by where the stream hits the Arrow. Guess it is one of the first brood of the year that has took up residence near to the river after getting chased off by the parents. Can't see it surviving on that stretch over the winter. Got another Kingfisher flyby at Pikes Pool to complete my morning. Happy Days!

Today was the first day I have been out since May due to work commitments. Good to get out & about! Pair of Kingfishers chasing each other down the Arrow near Howard Road. Got a good shot of a Grey Wagtail & one of a male Bullfinch with a juvenile. Computer is broke so can't share. Found a buzzard perch between the Sailing Club & The bungalows. Even though I have not been out in two months it was there again today, every time I look for it then move as I can't see it, it then emerges from the tree! Large swathes of the river near the Sailing Club where I watched the Kingfishers before are now inaccessible due to vegetation. I could hear them though! Didn't go to Bordesley, can only imagine that would be even worse. Took a walk through Bluebell Wood on my way back to Ipsley Pool & found something unusual half way down (level with the two islands): a kingfisher! What a sight it was flying within the confines of the very slim stream. So agile & manoeurable, I saw it twist & turn round the tight bends then disappear back towards the weir end of the lake. I saw it again down by the weir at the sewage outlet of the same stream & heard it further on by where the stream hits the Arrow. Guess it is one of the first brood of the year that has took up residence near to the river after getting chased off by the parents. Can't see it surviving on that stretch over the winter. Got another Kingfisher flyby at Pikes Pool to complete my morning. Happy Days!

Nice one!!

A pair of Oystercatchers were proclaiming their presence this morning - very noisy as they flew up and down the lake.

Also a pair of Gadwall on the larger island facing east, and an adult & juvenile Heron.

Got out Sunday round the Ipsley Pool section of the Arrow before it started to rain thus cutting my trip short. Kingfisher in usual spots. Also had one fly over the river & into Pilkington car park, maybe there is a small pond there. Pair of Grey Wagtails down by Howard Road & several Goldfinches in the trees by the bridge on the other side. Back home in the garden I had a visit off the Cock Sparrowhawk which was nice, decent snap that I will share when the PC is finally fixed.

Visited Ipsley Pool this morning until the heavy rain started. Long-tailed tits in the trees on the path side of the pool, and a Mistle Thrush. No sign of the Kingfisher though.

Sorry, not been on here for a bit. Good to see you back Boggers. I agree with you, the Kingfishers are now spreading out. I've also had them on Blacksoils Brook and around the lake. Most notable arrival over the past few weeks was an Avocet by the Sailing Club. Seen at 07.30 on Monday 18th (or 25th) July; will have to check my camera as my memory is going!! Had gone by 08.30. Confirmed by Mark as an adult Avocet.

Sorry, not been on here for a bit. Good to see you back Boggers. I agree with you, the Kingfishers are now spreading out. I've also had them on Blacksoils Brook and around the lake. Most notable arrival over the past few weeks was an Avocet by the Sailing Club. Seen at 07.30 on Monday 18th (or 25th) July; will have to check my camera as my memory is going!! Had gone by 08.30. Confirmed by Mark as an adult Avocet.

Presumably one of the Upton breeding colony.

Got out nice & early this morning, down to Ipsley Pool for 6am. Kingfishers on the river in usual spots. Also a pair on the pool which I have not seen before. Fluffed what would have been a superb shot where one of them perched on a small branch protruding from the water. Watched them for a good hour dart back & forth across the pool & got several shots of them before heading up to the lake. Had a look round Bluebell Woods to see if I could spot the Kingfisher there but to no avail. Buzzard gave me a nice flyby over a the river by the sailing club.

Kingfishers & Hornets Nest

Watched the Kingfishers again today, I am sure that this pair photographed on Ipsley Pool are from the second brood. There are both a male & female present & I have seen them flit between the pool & river being chased by at least another kingfisher (parent?). It will be interesting to see if they can survive on what the pool has to offer over the coming months or if they move on. On my treck round Arrow Valley Lake I also came upon a hornets nest. It is on the opposite side to the park, just beyond the islands, heading towards the duck feeding station. They have commandeered an unused bird box sat on a pole above the brook in Bluebell Woods & the nest can be viewed safely from the path. The sound from their nest crackles like an electricity pylon. I jumped over the brook for a closer view, they are not as agressive as wasps thus will not bother if not bothered. As well as several shots I took a decent video of them working. Probably just a few weeks left to view this before they start to die off, better photographers than me could get some awesome shots of this fabulous creature. Back home I was treated to a pair of Bullfinches on the feeder as well as this young aggressive Great Spotted Woodpecker on the fat balls. I have also included the snap of the male Sparrowhawk from a few weeks ago, apologies for the polythene at the bottom of the shot, I had to take it quick without opening the window!

Attachments

• Kingfisher Male 180816.jpg
    Kingfisher Male 180816.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Kingfishers Ipsley Pool 180816.jpg
    Kingfishers Ipsley Pool 180816.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Hornet Nest 180816.jpg
    Hornet Nest 180816.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Sparrowhawk Male.jpg
    Sparrowhawk Male.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 73
  • GWSP 200816 Garden.jpg
    GWSP 200816 Garden.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Is Ipsley pool the one on Old Forge Drive as the little pond on Alders drive is in Ipsley Alders Marsh (on Google Maps).

Watched the Kingfishers again today, I am sure that this pair photographed on Ipsley Pool are from the second brood. There are both a male & female present & I have seen them flit between the pool & river being chased by at least another kingfisher (parent?). It will be interesting to see if they can survive on what the pool has to offer over the coming months or if they move on.

Hi there Boggers, great to see your photos of the Kingfisher. I think those are adult Kingfisher. Juvenile Kingfisher have dark feet. I got a few photo's of juveniles, please see this example;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/9162167658/
This photo shows an adult and a juvenile, so you can compare the feet colour
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/15573638345/in/photostream/

Hi there Boggers, great to see your photos of the Kingfisher. I think those are adult Kingfisher. Juvenile Kingfisher have dark feet. I got a few photo's of juveniles, please see this example;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/9162167658/
This photo shows an adult and a juvenile, so you can compare the feet colour
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/15573638345/in/photostream/

Thanks, I never knew that about their feet Zomerset. Went to have a look early this morning at Ipsley Pool but no Kingys about. Maybe the chicks chased the adults off the river & on to the pool? Anyway they were not there today and unusually they were not on their regular stretch of the river. I was fishing the Lake last Thursday & saw one several times round the two islands. It was there again today. The hornets nest has trebled in size & now hangs below the bird box as well as in it. It is truly remarkable watching them work although I thought they would be winding down for winter by now. The nest keeps on growing.

Boggers,

Here's one of the hornets nest I took on Friday morning. There wasn't much activity around it, but I was there quite early and it was cold.

Hornets_Nest_Small.jpg

I haven't seen a Kingy at Ipsley for a coupe of weeks either.

Why didn't I take my camera with me? I did a quick tour of the lake this morning, and decided not to take my camera. There was a Kingfisher, perched on one of the fishing decks between the cafe and the sailing club. Barely a few yards from the gate. It stayed for quite a while and would have made a great photo.

A quick tour of the lake about 8 this morning revealed a large flock of Canada Geese (50+) and a pair of Wigeon. They were by the south side of the large island.

4 Tufted Ducks by the feeding deck at the eastern end this morning, about 08:00, also a solitary Teal and the female Goosander is still by the sailing club

Good Morning's Watching

Went out a few weeks ago and found absolutely nothing interesting. Got out 20 minutes before sunrise this morning, parked at Ipsley Pool. Walked down towards Howard Road, back up the otherside to Pikes Pool then on to the Lake, passed the Sailing Club then up to the Five Tunnels at Bordesley, back down to the Lake & through Bluebell Woods.

Run up to the Lake was barren. I have seen just one Kingfisher twice in the last two months between Howard Road & Pikes. Both times not on perches that I used to see them on. Anyone else had any luck?

Now the vegetation has died down I can get back at the river passed the Sailing Club. Saw a Greywagtail & heard Kingfisher call but didn't spot it. Up by Bordesley there were plenty of Nuthatches. On towards the Five Tunnels I got this snap of a Kingfisher on the pool adjacent to the River at the back of the Golf Course. He sat for me right nice! Bullfinch Hen in Bluebell Woods. When heading back to Ipsley, passed the lower weir at the base of the Lake I saw something I have not seen on this stretch of the Arrow before: an Egret! Sad to say that is the best shot I could get of it as it was extremely wary. I chased it up & down for ten minutes in the style of Benny Hill before it got fed up & flew off. Anyone else seen it lately? I hope it isn't a one off!

Plenty of action back home on the feeders with a female GSWP & a pair of Bullfinch paying a visit along with a male Blackcap (first one in the garden this year). Nice morning!

Attachments

• Greywagtail 091216.jpg
    Greywagtail 091216.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 45
  • K'fisher 5Tunnels 091216.jpg
    K'fisher 5Tunnels 091216.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Egret 091216.jpg
    Egret 091216.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hi Boggers,
that looks like a good morning's exercise. A few weeks ago there were four Little Egrets on the large island in the Lake, on the side closest to the totem pole bridge, and I spotted one on Ipsley pool a couple of weeks ago.

Hi Boggers,
that looks like a good morning's exercise. A few weeks ago there were four Little Egrets on the large island in the Lake, on the side closest to the totem pole bridge, and I spotted one on Ipsley pool a couple of weeks ago.
Nice one, I will have to keep my eyes peeled to try and spot some of those. Thanks CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back