• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Swaros really waterproof? (1 Viewer)

AJP

I just bought the EL and I'm rather protective of it, given the price. I might go canoeing next week and it's an area with great birds. I would have the bins on a harness, but heaven forbid if the canoe tipped, would I foolish to bring them along?

In a word, yes.

My ELs (which I treat shamefully badly) have not shown a speck of mist inside, in the nearly thirteen years I have owned them.

P.S. I'm pretty sure they don't float, however.... never want to test that!

I just bought the EL and I'm rather protective of it, given the price. I might go canoeing next week and it's an area with great birds. I would have the bins on a harness, but heaven forbid if the canoe tipped, would I foolish to bring them along?
I'd take them because:
-they're meant to be used and enjoyed;
- the canoe probably won't tip;
- if it did, odds are low water would penetrate the binocular;
- and worst case scenario, if it did leak Swarovski would cover it under their warranty and repair it free of charge which most likely means they'd send you a new one.

Unless they are defective, they will be able to handle total submersion at a modest depth (not sure what the exact spec is, but it's measured in meters). You've paid good money for a very well built and waterproof binocular. It would be a shame not to enjoy them on the water!
Cheers,
Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

Dear all, I have performed immersion tests on many binoculars of different brands and all Swarovski binoculars I have investigated were fully waterproof even after 48 hours immersion under a column of 60 cm water.
My habit is, when mountain walking, to immerse the binoculars used in a clear water pond to remove dust.
All Swarovski binoculars treated that way were water proof (also binoculars of other brands, but that was not the question here).
Gijs

My bro inlaws rode in/on the console of his boat (no case) for 20 years. Off shore and inshore, lost a few eye cups over the years, armor has a few cuts but only fogged last year. Sent back to Swaro, came back looking like new. I wouldnt worry about them.

I bought the latest version of Swarovski 8x42 SLC a while ago, but had to return it because water happened to get into the binocular. The focus wheel creaked quite a lot so I tried to flush some water over the wheel to see if it helped. I flushed very gently (no high pressure) and maybe just a half deciliter or so in quantity. It ended at least temporarily to creak and everything seemed to be fine - until the next morning when I discovered that the optics completely had fogged up. The fog came and went during the day and was still there when the dealer looked through the bino two days later. I got my money back though.

But the new SLC has very good optics and is nice to use, so I'm thinking strongly about buying another copy of it. I tried a new pair of 8x42 SLC last Saturday..and the focus wheel on that specimen was amazingly good - maybe I stretch me so far that I even says it was the best and smoothest focus wheel I have ever tried on a binocular!

I am a visitor from the Leica and Zeiss users club with no long-term experience with Swarovski binoculars. Of course, I would not doubt doubt at all Swarovski's assertion that their products are waterproof, but would doubt whether the seals of a specific pair after many years of use are still effective, and the gas is still there. This feeling echoes the experience I had with Trinovid BA model that was sent to Leica for service after many years of use (more than 10 years in this case). The service items included change of seals and gas-recharge. Accordingly, I would not doubt the watertightness of a relatively new pair of Swarovski binoculars, but would be careful if the pair is considerably older. Given that I heard excellent words about Swarovski's service, it is rather difficult to envisage a problem in ensuring that your binoculars are up to standards. Enjoy your canoeing in good health.

PS: Although that I am conservative whenever I canoe (calm, neck-deep, clear waters), I have found the floating strap assuring--so it is a good idea to acquire it. And yes, I have tipped over twice, but because the binoculars still remained around my neck, tipping was not an issue (except the children--watching me form the safety of the jetty--laughing at me for days).

Last edited:
Your Swaros are workhorse bins that will take a lot of abuse, water and keep giving great views.

Mine go off shore pelagic birding in small boats with salt spray, and in a canoe in a fresh water marsh almost weekly, and in other tough conditions such as on windy beaches with blowing sand.

Take them with you everywhere you bird and with time you'll appreciate how rugged they are.

Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back