• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL Ranges Discontinued (1 Viewer)

proudpapa56

Where'd you go, stay put!
United States
Dealers just got word that Swarovski Optik has discontinued the EL Range models as of today.
So folks that are in the market might be able to find one at a nice holiday price.
The Swarovski North America mothership has a "limited" number left.

Dealers just got word that Swarovski Optik has discontinued the EL Range models as of today.
So folks that are in the market might be able to find one at a nice holiday price.

Did they give any reason for such an act?

Jan

No reason given, but apparently Swarovski Optik North America got the word just before they informed dealers so reasons might follow.

I take it you mean the non-SV models, right?

Ed

That may be the reason why a new model is coming.

A more refined rangefinder model, less the bumps, and Swarovision.

Jerry

I thought the optics on theses were top notch.

Even with the bumps they feel good in the hands.

That said, warranty work would be cost prohibitive on this model or any range finding binocular?

Electronics are going to fail, then your left with a somewhat cumbersome binocular with useless electronics, unless your willing to shell out big money to have it fixed.

I wonder how big the market is for these?

If they do come out with another upgraded model, its a bigger market than what I thought.

Bryce...

Last edited:
Difficult to believe Swarovski are exiting the Rangefinder bino market???

They must be developing a newer model, however I don't see whats wrong with the present range.

Cheers Tim

Dear all,
About one hour ago I received an e-mail message from Swarovski (forwarded to everybody who has signed up for the Swarovski newsletter), that a new STR 80 telescope is introduced with built in rangefinder, so Swarovski certainly does not leave the rangefinder path, but now I am extra curious how to understand the message, that the Swarovski rangefinder binoculars are discontinued. It seems at odds with the introduction of this new telescope, which handles exchangeable 25-50x and 20-60x eyepieces.
Gijs

I thought the optics on theses were top notch.

Even with the bumps they feel good in the hands.

That said, warranty work would be cost prohibitive on this model or any range finding binocular?

Electronics are going to fail, then your left with a somewhat cumbersome binocular with useless electronics, unless your willing to shell out big money to have it fixed.

I wonder how big the market is for these?

If they do come out with another upgraded model, its a bigger market than what I thought.

Bryce...

Relax,

We are talking about a Swarovski product.
I've never seen a cost estimate from them figuring BIG money:eat:.

Jan

As far as I know, that STR 80 doesn't have the laser range finder, it has reticles (2 different scale models) that can be illuminated.

Attachments

• str.jpg
    str.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 123
Proudpapa, post 14,
That is also what I have read from the newsletter, no built-in laser, but reticles which allow you to estimate distances (known procedure for people who have been in the army I think).
Gijs

Gijs,

I know nothing about this product, but just looking at the photo Proudpapa posted makes one think there must be more than just reticles in this scope. The picture is not the best, but that is a huge lump there around the prism assembly, and has at least a couple of knobs and controls on it.

Kimmo

Gijs,

I know nothing about this product, but just looking at the photo Proudpapa posted makes one think there must be more than just reticles in this scope. The picture is not the best, but that is a huge lump there around the prism assembly, and has at least a couple of knobs and controls on it.

Kimmo

Kimmo,

The knobs are for:
Diopter focussing;
Light for day and/or night use;
Recticle to appear or not (Zeiss and Leupold have the "same" instrument but without this possibillity. By them you always see the reticle);
Mount possibillities for nightvision and camera, flashlight etc.

This is a military device which now also comes available for civil market long range target shooting.

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back