• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of scope do you all use for sketching? (1 Viewer)

nightheron28

Exterminate! Exterminate! Exxxtttteeeerrrrmmmiinat
Hello,

Was wondering what scopes you guys use for field sketching? Do you prefer Angled or Straight? Also do you cary a seat of some sort?

Thanks.

I use an angled scope as it's a lot easier than a straight one. I used to carry a small stool with me but now just put up with pins and needles and cramps as I can't be bothered to carry everything.

nickderry said:
I use an angled scope as it's a lot easier than a straight one. I used to carry a small stool with me but now just put up with pins and needles and cramps as I can't be bothered to carry everything.

Thanks Nick! What model do you use? What eyepiece? Thanks again!

Opticron HR60 GA ED with 28x fixed eyepiece, not for any other reason than it's got a clear image and was affordable. I actually find using binoculars more comfortable when sketching as you don't have to adjust from one eye to both. (Though they're a pain to lift, put down, lift sketchbook, draw etc)

nickderry said:
Opticron HR60 GA ED with 28x fixed eyepiece, not for any other reason than it's got a clear image and was affordable. I actually find using binoculars more comfortable when sketching as you don't have to adjust from one eye to both. (Though they're a pain to lift, put down, lift sketchbook, draw etc)

Ah, okay sounds good. Well I will have to try and get an ED model with a fixed eyepiece when I can.

Yeah I would think the binoculars would be uber hard to sketch with being that you have to hold them steady with one hand while you sketch with the other and or do as you say.

Thanks alot for the suggestions.

I use a little collapsible Vixen Geoma 52 with the 25x and 15-45x eyepieces, which I believe is the US version of the Opticron MM2 (angled, so not so good in the car -- I had to modify my window mount just so I could fit my head between the eyepiece and the ceiling, but great with the 'pod when looking up into trees or, alternately, down at a sketchbook). Portability was my main selling point here, and this thing's great -- it's small enough and light enough to toss into my glove box or bag, even if I'm not really intending to go birding and have it along 'just in case'. I get more sketching done that way.

I'll still use bins if I don't want to drag my tripod along with me (which is often). I carry my equipment in a messenger-style bag that doubles as a sling for my sketchbook if I need to go hands free. I just wedge my sketchbook between the staps of the bag and balance it on my hip, and then I can look through the bins and sketch at the same time (and if I need my other hand to steady my bins, it doesn't have to involve putting down my sketchbook). It's not a perfect setup, but it beats dragging a chair around just so I can use my lap. Although I'll admit it's caused me to dump my book in the snow more times than I care to mention when I get busy looking through the bins and forget that walking around isn't such a good idea!

Of course, in any situation I always prefer my scope to my bins. I get to spend more time recording what I see instead of the snatches I get while trying to keep the bins on target.

I use an angled Leica Apo77 with 20-60x and 32xww for the superb field of view. The 32 us great if you're sketching a moving bird as you don't need to keep moving the scope. I've recently bought an angled Nikon ED50 with 20ww and lightweight tripod which fits into my small rucksack as I walk a lot and the weight of the Leica can be a a pain. A brilliant little scope, I find i use it more and more when drawing. Angled scopes are essential as you need to keep both eyes open when sketching and a straight through one lets too much light in from the sky etc and the pupil shuts down, making drawing difficult.

Angled scopes the only way to go, I also use a Leica angled, Telivid 77, though I like to use a zoom eyepiece unless the bird is very active and at fairly close range. I use my right eye to view the bird thru the scope and keep my left eye on the sketchpad on my left knee. I am left handed, so the reverse may be more practical for right handers.

Angled over straight all the time, because I find angled scopes easier to use as I'm not craning my neck trying to look through the eyepiece. Currently have an Acuter 65mm, but have ordered a Kowa TSN 601

Angled 65mm Zeiss+ zoom lens (great fov, fab close up and not too heavy to lug around) For a seat I use a gardeners foam kneeling pad - fits in the rucksack beautifully is pretty well water proof (ie no wet trousers), is warm, tough and it weighs NOTHING!

cheers

B

barry robson said:
For a seat I use a gardeners foam kneeling pad - fits in the rucksack beautifully is pretty well water proof (ie no wet trousers), is warm, tough and it weighs NOTHING!

Great idea, Barry! I've barely used the field tripod I bought a few months ago, primarily because it's so short and I can't crouch for anything longer than a few minutes at a time (and my folding chair, while very light, is just too clunky to take through the bush). I'll have to pick one up.

I've just bought a Nikon ED82 angled with a 25-75 zoom - a definite step up on my Opticron HD60 straight. The brightness of the Nikon is superb, but at higher magnifications, I find the focussing to be extremely sensitive. I suspect a fixed mag. wide angle may be a better solution for sketching because, with the zoom, the temptation is always to get 'that bit closer' - making quick focussing tricky at first. I used to always use a small pair of Nikon binoculars (until my youngest daughter dropped them - bless!) - because they were so light and I could view and focus using one hand - leaving the other to get on with drawing. I think at the end of the day, use what you can get hold of - the only real thing to remember is 'DO IT!' What I mean is, it's too easy to just sit and enjoy watching the birds (nothing wrong with that - I do it all the time) - but you then find an hour's gone and nothing to show. get out your sketchbook immediately and get down to it. A quick note on light, weather and species around always helps - it gets you working with your hands - then you soon find that you draw almost automatically, what you are seeing. I've been sketching from life since I was about 10 years old (33 years ago) and it's still the most difficult, challenging and, ultimately, rewarding activity I do. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back