• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (2 Viewers)

Cor! What a super spread! I'll echo what Phil says: These are right up my street, too. Superb raptor studies; some really skillfully-caught angles here. The gulls (you can never have too many gulls!) are very well done, too. Although side-on, they've been very accurately portrayed, with the head, bill, coverts etc all in the right proportion.
Passerines, as ever, are fantastic. I love these Redpoll, the whole character of the bird shines through and they would make excellent illustrations in their own right.

Russ

Have a great trip and come back with pages bursting with your usual brilliance.

Mike

Well, I asked and you didn't let me down! Brilliance delivered in spades. Others have already remarked on the ravens and I'll add a cheer for them too, but it's tough to pick a favourite from such a collection.

Inspiring stuff.

Mike

You have been the productive one haven't you! Great sketches all. That one of the two flying ravens looks like an already designed painting. Hope we get to see a few of these as paintings, Alan.

So good to have you back and back in a big way....Simply miracles to me,how with such a simple spare perfectly accurate out line you capture it exactly...take the woodlark for example, just breathtaking...have to go now to look for more oxygen....

From the depdths of the third page! Weather here has been frezing and not a lot of sketching done, though a recent trip in a car changed that...

Female Smew a highlight, sketches here along with an Argentatus Herring Gull that went wrong somewhere around the undercarriage...

Attachments

• Smew 1.jpg
    Smew 1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Smew Thumb.jpg
    Smew Thumb.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Smew sleeping.jpg
    Smew sleeping.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 59
  • argentatus .jpg
    argentatus .jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 55
Grey Herrons were there in numbers, hunkered down in minus ten degrees, great birds to draw these...

Attachments

• Heron 4.jpg
    Heron 4.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Heron 3.jpg
    Heron 3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Heron 2.jpg
    Heron 2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Heron 1.jpg
    Heron 1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 53
From the depdths of the third page! Weather here has been frezing and not a lot of sketching done, though a recent trip in a car changed that...

Female Smew a highlight, sketches here along with an Argentatus Herring Gull that went wrong somewhere around the undercarriage...

how nice to hear from you- supadoopa to see a "long" bodied smew: they seem to almost always be illustrated "short", low in the water with all that taily bit out of sight

Agree with the above gentlemen - there seems to be painting potential in ALL of them. This grey heron series is like looking at a few frames of hand-drawn animation; subtle yet characteristic changes in posture and angle create an underlying vibrancy. Surely this chap's name is Sylas - he looks just like one.

Have four days off next week, the brushes will be out, fancy a stab at a few herons together, with perhaps a singleton as a warmer upper before I do a larger piece. Smew will get the treatment too, charming little sawbill that I really want to try do justice to, long tail out and all Ed;)
With regard to sketch no. 2 agreee it has potential, the gull needs a scaling down and perhaps moving to the rear...

Last edited:
good to have you back - and what a superb series of herons, as Tim says, just like seeing frames of animation. The smew is smewtiful, they're really quirky birds and a firm favourite of mine, it's been too long since I saw one. Can't wait to see what gems these get worked into.

I'll echo what the other guys say - jolly good to see you back, Alan. Here's a man who llkes his gulls as much as his fowl.
Another excellent series of sketches. I particularly like the smew studies, especially the first one with its tail feathers flicked up - very well caught. Herring gull might be a bit 'off' round the undercarriage but the facial expresion and head shape (for me the hardest things to capture in the big gulls) are cock-on. Very well done sketches of the face-on herons; another very difficult pose to get right. The blue tint to your sketches certainly adds to that winter feeling - is this on purpose?! I though I'd done well braving the cold!

Russ

wow.. 'fieldsketching' is something I have always wanted to do but I can't! I love 'sketches from life' as they have a great sense of movement, and yours have great likeness to the bird you are drawing.
I Especially love all your goldcrest sketches.

Scans here of sketches from yesterday. Coal Tit and a snakelike Nuthatch from a bird feeding station in Tyresö, the local Dippers at the falls in Nyfors where 6 birds are present, and a Black Pecker which showed well for ten minutes on a pine trunk. 2nd calender Greater Black Backed Gull was the best of the gulls at Skeppsbron in the afternoon...
The scanner seems to blow out the sketches a little, no light to use the camera today...

Attachments

• bird table s1.jpg
    bird table s1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 50
  • dippers s1.jpg
    dippers s1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 61
  • black pecker s1.jpg
    black pecker s1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 59
  • GBBG.jpg
    GBBG.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
After a blizzard last night my plans for a long excursion were cut short, the transport system here crippled after almost a metre of snow overnight. Delighted to see a small flock of Mealy Redpoll feeding in the back garden and sketched them through the window of the utility room, getting some strange looks in the process from the resident tabby, who it seems owns this space and was perhaps even more interested in the birds under the feeders than I was.

Attachments

• adult redpoll s1.jpg
    adult redpoll s1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 67
  • polls s1.jpg
    polls s1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 68
  • redpolls s.jpg
    redpolls s.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back