• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiffchaff ?? (1 Viewer)

citrinella

This was taken in Wester Ross, NW Scotland in an area where Chiffchaff are unusual. I think it is a Chiffchaff (but I am not good on warblers, esp song). Is this a Chiffchaff ?

TIA, Mike.

Attachments

• No_1.jpg
    No_1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 226
Why not a willow warbler? That would be by far the more common species in the NW of Scotland (particularly in a birch woodland).

Apart from location and habitat, the leg colour doesn't look too bad for willow warbler, I can't really see the primary projection, and the plumage colouration of willow warbler is very variable.

Edit: Just noticed - my 1000th post!

Last edited:
Apart from location and habitat, the leg colour doesn't look too bad for willow warbler, I can't really see the primary projection, and the plumage colouration of willow warbler is very variable.

Edit: Just noticed - my 1000th post!

I thought i could see a slight eye ring
congrats on 1k

keith

Check out these excellent maps from the BTO breeding bird survey of Chiffchaff:

http://blx1.bto.org/bbs-results/results/bbsanim-422.html

and Willow Warbler:

http://blx1.bto.org/bbs-results/results/bbsanim-423.html

Don't forget to click next to move through the years until 2007.
As you can see, Willow Warbler is more likely on distribution. I remember seeing a couple of comparative maps in the BTO News (you'll need to be a member to remember that probably) which, if i remember correctly, had an even more clear cut distinction in distribution.
The bird is clearly singing in the photograph, so did you hear it citrinella, as you are in the best place to say what it was. What did it sound like? That said, it does look more like a WW to me, although i've got them wrong on here recently, so best to ignore me...

Certainly looks like a willow to me, something about the 'expression' - not the most scientifically sound method of course. Best way to identify a singing bird is of course to listen to it.

Thanks everybody,

I had considerable problems with the song as there was a willow warbler singing right beside me. I didn't hear chiffchaff, but I am very bad on song and I wasn't thinking about it, more about getting photos. If it was singing, it wasn't for long as that is the only photo with it's mouth open out of many.

To be honest I thought I was photographing whitethroat (though I hadn't heard any singing). Please remember I am pretty colour blind, and where I come from willow warbler look browner (to me) than this. Collins mentions greyer in NW. When I looked on screen I couldn't see the contrast between head and body I would expect on whitethroat.

I photoed another individual (not very good) which appears to have much paler legs which made me wonder if this one was chiffchaff. Apparently birdy folk living 50 metres away have never recorded chiffchaff, and there are few (if any) records from this side of the loch (Lochcarron) though they are known on the other side, about 8km away.

Lesser whitethroat are not "supposed" to occur in this area at all. From my books I would have expected to see some contrast between head an back for lesser whitethroat too. On my home patch I only get whitethroat and willow warbler, so I guess I am very inexperienced.

Mike.

Hi the bird in your photo looks like it is singing so if if didnt hear the chiff chaff chiff chaff call I would go for willow

...and the right structure, shape, colour etc (not to mention facial expression, leg colour (though this is variable), apparent primary projection) for Willow Warbler...

There were several Chiffchaffs singing last week in Inverewe Gardens, north of Gairloch, one of them looking really out of place (for Scotland) high up in a eucalyptus tree.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back