• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinch (1 Viewer)

doggie

Hi
I wonder if anyone can tell me who will have rung this Goldfinch.
thanks
Alan

Attachments

• IMG_5355 (640x489).jpg
    IMG_5355 (640x489).jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5358 (640x515).jpg
    IMG_5358 (640x515).jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 107
That's not a BTO ring, and I suspect it is a'closed' ring used on captive-bred birds. So good news that it has achieved freedom!

Hi Jon
thanks for the quick reply..i've contacted the british bird council to see what they say.
would a closed ring be crimped on?..this one seems to have a crease on it where it was crimped.

Sorry for delay in replying, Dog, it is an odd ring, I only really looked briefly and saw no silver BTO-type ring. Almost certainly some type of cage bird, and not as I first said necessarily a closed ring. Closed rings have to be put on when the birds are really tiny (first hatched) and this has to be done on all captive bred birds in this country. There's another thread about a Brambling with an odd yellow ring on! If you read that thread, it has a couple of addresses to check out online for colour rings, but with only one ring, you'd have to get the details off the ring to be successful.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back