• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First Goldfinch. (1 Viewer)

Tockman

A Goldfinch at last! over 2 years of trying to attract one, hours of disappointment, and pounds of stale Niger seed, you guys said be patient, and you were right!
Out of the blue yesterday, there it was, pecking away, it's returned several times now,so I'm hoping it's going to stay a while. Thanks, Alan. B :)

Attachments

• Goldfinch.jpg
    Goldfinch.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 146
Well done! I only have a tiny paved yard in the middle of town, and now regularly have up to 20 or so Goldfinches feeding on sunflower hearts. They disappear for short intervals but have been coming back for over 2 years now!

Brilliant!!! They seem to visit my garden on a hop and a catch, one flew on to the nyger feeder a couple of weeks ago, ignored the nyger and promptly flew to the sunflower hearts. Still, aren't they a sight to see though.

That's great news Tockman! Well done! I unsuccessfully tried to get Goldfinches! Almost a year and sacks of Nyjer! Then suddenly they came. Now get 2 regularly, and saw three yesterday!!

Well done Tockman, nice photo too. I see regular Goldfinches on my local patch, but only rarely in my garden, they no sooner land than they're off again. I'm trying to be patient aswell!

Al.

Thanks for your replies everyone.
I'm a bit jealous of Annew's 20 though! lucky you.
Still, I'm over the moon with my 1, lets hope he brings his mates round soon!!
Cheers, Alan.

well done! - all that hard work paid off in the end, if your lucky it's friends will soon be flocking to your feeders.......

Well done Tockman!! We have alot of goldfinches down here in Astley Bridge and although I have had the niger feeders out all winter I have never seen a single goldie visit. :( Hope he sticks around to delight you further :)

Goldfinches on feeder

Goldfinches take ordinary peanuts from my hanging feeder, though it does have fancier perches than most, which they always use.

I think that the real reason is that they were used to coming into the garden for thistle heads and the like - I think you get more success with birds that were regulars even before you put up the feeder.

So congrats to anyone who has attracted goldfinches in with the feeder alone. And beautiful picture Tockman, they really are such extravagent dandies!

A Long tailed tit on the suet ball today, though. That's the first time I've ever seen that, hopefully not the last. I don't know if that's unusual?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back