• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera settings (1 Viewer)

mmdnje

Jose
Hello:
When taking pictures against the sky, what would be the best camera settings or processing algorithm? How could I improve this picture??
Pentax PF80/williams optics DCL28/coolpix 4500.
Red-headed woodpecker juvenile.
Thanks.
José.

Attachments

• rhweb.jpg
    rhweb.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 278
Exposure problems

Hi mmdnje,
The main thing is to allow for the lighter background. This could be up to 3 stops difference but often one stop is enough.
In the photo you are actually not far off. It also depends on the subject and the light on that subject as well.
The darker the subject the greater the difference between it and the sky background.
It also depends of course on how much control you have on your camera. With an SLR it's no problem.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

madmike

Hi mmdnje

I use the same combo as you accept currently with the 20-60x rather than the DCL28. My first rule of thumb is grab the shot with whatever settings you've got and there is not a lot wrong with your pic. Once I have got a couple on camera I would try a little exposure compensation. Say a couple of shots at +0.3 and if you get the time a couple at +0.7.

I'm still not entirely confident on how much extra to add so periodically with a suitable subject I take a series of pics with increasing and decreasing compensation just to get a feel of how much has what effect under what light conditions.

However I think it is usually better to err on the side of under exposure because it is always easier to lighten it afterwards. If its burnt out its gone for good.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back