• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (13 Viewers)

As Ingsbirder says Paul that is 100% Mealy. I got one yesterday morning - got the streaked white rump.

Is access okay - I felt a bit uneasy. It looked like a gen. footpath through the wood, but I wasn't sure if I was okay with the car down the private road - especially when I got back and the gate had been closed - open when I went through.

Also, a mean looking dog in the wood and the sign about security patrolling! just wondered if you'd ever had any issues?

Lawts
the main track through is open access but dont wander off it.There is a pheasant shoot sat/sun and they really get pissed off if off the main track u were on.But yes there is public access.The dogs im afraid could be anywhere else u go...owners letting em go etc.

If u stay to main track..and most of my photos are from it there will be no problem. Just don't go off on any cross-sections of main path.Had one or two meetings with ?gamekeeper/shooters..but my impression is working forrestry....shoots at weekends.And as i have photographed weasel and stoat here anyway....its just low level, quiet local shoot.
The dog will be a local walkers..there are not normally issues here....the main track through is used as bridleway when suitable.
The track for car is also ok; if gate closed, open it and close behind.Its usually open.The Redhouse estate have a website...cant find address just now but easy to find with a search.The owners are wildlife friendly....one of my kingfisher pics is 'pic of the month'.So ,I think it will be ok , so long as no one does the usual rubbish stuff..ie mouthing off shooters/trashing the place/causing obstructions etc.There is no one on yorks thread that i have met that would behave like that anyway!
Just respect the locals!!

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:
Planets

Not birds I know, but may be of interest to some.

Venus "showing well" at the moment - 7.00am a good time - look south. Through the bins you can see the crescent shape.

Jupiter also "showing well" at the moment. It moves across from south-east to south-west 8.30pm a good time - at least four of its moons easily visible through bins.

Attachments

• 033pp.jpg
    033pp.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 012p.jpg
    012p.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 140
a few more from redhouses

Today....the redpoll has not been photoshopped,(and its a Meally by the way) just the way the light caught it.

Attachments

• buzz2.jpg
    buzz2.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Meallyredpoll_1.jpg
    Meallyredpoll_1.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 152
  • siskin4.jpg
    siskin4.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 98
Nice one Steve :t:

For anyone that is interested there is a fanastic free programme called Stellarium. Saturn should also be visible above Venus and about 45 degrees to the right (rises 02.05 tomorrow).

Gorgeous shot of the buzzard Paul, and I like the pose of the siskin.

Cheers Keith

they are really performing over here..tons of shots equally as good..all the different plumages as well! Frightened that might overload everyone with photos of a common bird however.Will restrict to any decent redpolls from now on!
My local patch is proving awesome this year!

Don't want the snow to go..gives such wonderful 'underlight' for photographing flying birds.
Cheers
Paul

Last edited:
Waxwings still on St. Lukes green in leeds. Moving between large sycamore and a red berried rowan. The berries on the local streets are being systematically stripped by the combo of thrushes and waxies.

Mark.

Our kid tells me a Jack Snipe has been feeding by an unfrozen outflow drain where he works all this week - he's stood and watched it without bins! In exactly the same spot as an obliging Water Rail during the freeze at the start of the year. The git ;)

Off to the dark side tomorrow visiting one of my old haunts; Marshside nr Southport. Recent reports include up to 7 raptors species in a day. Given my track record I'll be pleased with more than 3 ;)

Thanks for posting Ken.... at least some potential visitors have been warned that Marshide will be hosting only 3 BOPs tomorrow.;)

All the best mate and see you bright and early on Wednesday, high tide is very early morning so the Morecambe Bay hides won't be so good. See you at 7.00 by the garage.

Cheers Keith. Bittern and Beardy should be a shoe-in for my yearlist. No recent reports of the long-staying Great White Egret unfortunately.
I used to know a sight for Hawfinch at Holywell but I've forgotten where it is. Failing that, Sizergh Castle might be worth a look if time permits.

Last edited:
Not really a surpise they'd still be in the area and not that far from where I looked. Just didn't have the time or else I would have walked over a wider area. Should have tried Saturday but it slipped my mind with the other stuff I had to do.
Still, they may stick around another week.
Cheers.

around 50 this morning on st lukes street beeston .
cheers.

Great Grey Shrike

Hello everybody,

I am a regular reader of this thread but haven't posted since 2006!

Out for a walk with my partner in Wharfedale this morning, we parked at Storiths (near Bolton Abbey) and walked up to the track over the moor where we met three birders.

Great Grey Shrike about and we had only just missed it! We set off over the moor and within two minutes there it was, it flew past and settled on a telephone post a hundred yards away. Fortunatley we had the binocs with us and we both got a good view before it flew off. Three hours later we arrived back at the car and spoke to another group of birders who told us that the bird had not been seen since late morning, but apparantly it has been in the area for nearly a fortnight.

This has been the third "first" for me in the last three weeks but this was particularly enjoyable as it was a complete chance. I think that I am starting to enjoy this birding lark!

Graeme

Still Waxwing knocking about in Wetherby. Saw one this morning at the end of Sandbeck where it joins the road up to the racecourse. Also Redwing, Mistle Thrush and Fieldfare knocking about.

Regular Great Spot coming to feeders on Law Close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back