• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (26 Viewers)

Went to Mirfield for the RBG today, it appeared after a 2 1/2 hour wait at about half two, showed really well
RingBilledGull001.jpg

Have you any other shots of this bird Jim?

Stuck some on the id thread.

Steve don't know if you are popping over for the RBG at all but if you're still after the above then I think there must be a roost near Jay House Lane (not too far) as at about 15:00 the numbers there tonight went from a dozen to 100+ in about 15 minutes with birds still dropping in.

Attachments

• IMG_6944.JPG
    IMG_6944.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6948.JPG
    IMG_6948.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 89

Steve don't know if you are popping over for the RBG at all but if you're still after the above then I think there must be a roost near Jay House Lane (not too far) as at about 15:00 the numbers there tonight went from a dozen to 100+ in about 15 minutes with birds still dropping in.

they are mine!!! Leave em alone!!!

Jim
joking apart..i have seen no redpoll that looks as pale as that in my lot.???arctic.

Joe, the birds were present at 10.30 this morning, approx 80. Very skittish though, hardly settlling for any time. They were frequenting the trees on the grassed area between the motorway and Normanton Grove, Normanton Place and Cambrian Street. Map HERE

Hoping to see the Waxwings..but...I can't find St Lukes St on Google maps ..is it next to St Lukes Rd Beeston...
Cheers Joe

Joe, the birds were present at 10.30 this morning, approx 80. Very skittish though, hardly settlling for any time. They were frequenting the trees on the grassed area between the motorway and Normanton Grove, Normanton Place and Cambrian Street. Map HERE

I think I saw the same flock yesterday. On my way to visit family and came of the M621 for Holbeck (where the roadworks are - 40mph on M621) there was a flock of about 50 + birds in the trees next to the road junction - (turn right for holbeck city centre, left for Beeston). It was a great start to the day seeing as I have been out for the last 3-4 weeks trying to find some!

Broke my Waxwing duck this afternoon, with the flock of 7 birds in Baynard Ave Cottingham, nice garden tick for those living at number 4 , hehe :t:
Waxwings005.jpg

Managed to get a Mealy Redpoll for myself on strensall common. Very pale bird mixed in with about 20 lessers. They were congragating in the trees near the pond, coming down to drink in ones and twos.

mark.

4x waxwing at Hunsingore 12.00 today. Leave A168 and head for Cattal. There is a bungalow on the left just past the entrance to Hunsingore village. After bungalow is a small orchard with well rotting apples still on a tree. Waxwings are eating those. You can get close but they get spooked if noisey vehicles come past. I took 88 good pictures. They head into the tall trees across the next field but soon come back.
Stephie

Thanks

:-C

Thanks Keith but out all day yesterday, didn't pick up your info 'til this afternoon, 2.30pm. I went through on the offchance but didn't see owt.
Just to say though and it's a sad statement of the times we live in, that I didn't feel happy about driving slowly and walking around that area with the bins around my neck so near to the school, I just felt as though everyone was looking and thinking................? :-C
Cheers Joe

More or less my thoughts Joe. I thought about taking the bus down there but decided it was outside my comfort zone.

Frustratingly as I was walking back from the corner shop in Burley this afternoon I think heard a single flyover |:(|

More or less my thoughts Joe. I thought about taking the bus down there but decided it was outside my comfort zone.

Frustratingly as I was walking back from the corner shop in Burley this afternoon I think heard a single flyover |:(|

Certainly outside my comfort zone.... glad I went early doors on Sunday. Wouldn't want to hang around there too long during the middle of the day. Although I do tend to hide the bins under my arm when birding in urban areas.

Good to know there's like minded blokes out there; makes me feel "normal".
I'm going to try the open, less urban surrounds tomorrow, I'm trying Stephanie's spot near Cattal. I'm still a Waxwing virgin after all these years....!
Cheers Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back