• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (25 Viewers)

Had a day on the dark side with Keith. Started off at Sizergh Castle which failed to produce Hawfinch. That kind of set the tone for the rest of the day. Headed down to Leighton Moss which almost completely frozen over, including the salt-marsh pools; never seen that before. Finally broke my Waxwing duck for this year with 30+ in and around the orchard next to the visitor centre. Disappointingly there were no Beardies about. In fact the reed-bed seemed devoid of birds.

As delighted as I was with the Waxwings the highlight was a Bittern that flew right past the front of the Allen hide, cracking view.

Doc, would love to have a go at your Redpolls on Saturday (trains are rubbish on Sunday). Send a PM so we can work something out. In the mean time I will mug up :t:

Ken
having probs with pm...think my ex has decommissioned me!

Last edited:
Just ordered another copy of the Advanced Bird guide from Amazon... it's down to £8.39 now.
Had a major malfunction with the coffee flask today at Leighton Moss and filled my day sack with coffee...thankfully my camera didn't get wet but both my collins 2 nd edition and my advanced bird guide were somewhat sodden.

Had a day on the dark side with Keith. Started off at Sizergh Castle which failed to produce Hawfinch. That kind of set the tone for the rest of the day. Headed down to Leighton Moss which almost completely frozen over, including the salt-marsh pools; never seen that before. Finally broke my Waxwing duck for this year with 30+ in and around the orchard next to the visitor centre. Disappointingly there were no Beardies about. In fact the reed-bed seemed devoid of birds.

As delighted as I was with the Waxwings the highlight was a Bittern that flew right past the front of the Allen hide, cracking view.

Doc, would love to have a go at your Redpolls on Saturday (trains are rubbish on Sunday). Send a PM so we can work something out. In the mean time I will mug up :t:

sorted!let me know! will try to get some feeders up...and cheers to lads that suggested...if u want to put couple up as well.. more than welcome.

Please be aware that sat/sun are shoot days...pl;ease dont wander off main track...for your own safety!!

Last edited:
Just ordered another copy of the Advanced Bird guide from Amazon... it's down to £8.39 now.
Had a major malfunction with the coffee flask today at Leighton Moss and filled my day sack with coffee...thankfully my camera didn't get wet but both my collins 2 nd edition and my advanced bird guide were somewhat sodden.

It's £7.89 at Play.com if you want to save some pennies. Is it a good book? Might have to indulge myself, I need to improve.

YOU GUYS...!

you do realize I`m taking you seriously.

Hi Claire
Won't do any innuendo on u,..though am tempted! The waxwings have been on and off in fulford/heslington for some time. I was lucky enough to connect with them on Danesmead Close..but no recent reports on York birding site! I promise will post if i hear any news...but surely u can get to some of the west yorks flocks???

Paul

Just looked at the birdguides site and there are 105 reports of waxwings in the UK! I've never seen that many reports before.
Clare if you go for the Beeston waxwings take care, go early in the day and avoid having all your camera gear on show. It's not the best area in Leeds and some of the locals have quaint customs.

Just looked at the birdguides site and there are 105 reports of waxwings in the UK! I've never seen that many reports before.
Clare if you go for the Beeston waxwings take care, go early in the day and avoid having all your camera gear on show. It's not the best area in Leeds and some of the locals have quaint customs.

I wouldn't fancy trying for these, but you should be safer with the following in Swillington, not a million miles away.

180+ Waxwings in area between Astley Lane and Little Preston this afternoon.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back