• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinch in Winter (1 Viewer)

DonB

Another one from the wayback machine long, long ago.

This is a watercolour about 20 x 30 cm. It's one of several birdy pictures I used to do as presents to my parents. They were bird lovers and really enjoyed them.

I wanted to put in a background but was terrified I'd ruin it as this was done a few days before Christmas. Now I know to put the background in first as part of the design but it's still something I struggle with. The grey 'pipe' is supposed to be a plexiglas bird feeder full of tiny seeds.

This was done from a photograph I took of the bird on a feeder outside my parent's kitchen window in Cleveland, Ohio.

The technique was rather simple once a detailed drawing was done. I used a warm grey wash to give the body some form, followed by a few washes of colour and then dry brush for the feathers and other details.

I found that using a grisaille lets me solve the form problems right away so I can then concentrate on trying it make it look like a critter. I find trying to handle the form values and the details at the same time difficult.

Thanks for having a look.

db

Attachments

• 25850-goldfinchCropped1.jpg
    25850-goldfinchCropped1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 238
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back