• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (3 Viewers)

I got a call saying that starlings had disappeared from centre of Dundalk (around Market Street) - anybody else notice a lack of starlings (and possibly feral pigeons)?

Council knows nothng about it...

I noticed on the NI thread that quite a few swifts have been seen up there. Anyone seen any here yet? I haven't.

One little tern on the beach at Baltray today and quite a few sandwich terns. The tide was in and it was quite high. There were a nice lot of waders around in summer plumage including sanderlings, turnstones, dunlins, and nesting ringed plovers.

It appeared this morning that one pair of little egrets might have been attempting to nest. This would be several weeks earlier than last year. The neighbouring heron didn't seem happy with it's new neighbour and there was a lot of squabbling going on, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't stick it out. Some of the young herons look to be fledged or almost fledged and there are plenty of large nestlings still in nests.

ardnasx1 said:
I noticed on the NI thread that quite a few swifts have been seen up there. Anyone seen any here yet? I haven't.

One little tern on the beach at Baltray today and quite a few sandwich terns. The tide was in and it was quite high. There were a nice lot of waders around in summer plumage including sanderlings, turnstones, dunlins, and nesting ringed plovers.

It appeared this morning that one pair of little egrets might have been attempting to nest. This would be several weeks earlier than last year. The neighbouring heron didn't seem happy with it's new neighbour and there was a lot of squabbling going on, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't stick it out. Some of the young herons look to be fledged or almost fledged and there are plenty of large nestlings still in nests.

I have not seen any swifts to date but am keeping my eyes peeled. I counted 238 Sanderling on the beach at baltray the other night also had a Common sandpiper at lurgangreen.

Keep an eye on the coast this weekend. some nice migrants starting to appear ion Cape Clear.

Peter

Last edited:
breffni said:
I got a call saying that starlings had disappeared from centre of Dundalk (around Market Street) - anybody else notice a lack of starlings (and possibly feral pigeons)?

Council knows nothng about it...

That interesting, what do you think could be possible causes ? I have noticed a lack of Starlings in the garden compared to last year, but thought nothing of it.

gareth2005 said:
That interesting, what do you think could be possible causes ? I have noticed a lack of Starlings in the garden compared to last year, but thought nothing of it.
Hard to say. Councils occasionally control urban feral pigeons using doped seed, they typically use a product called Alpha Chloralose - "sleepy crow", but have not done anything recently in Dundalk. Freelance poisoning is also a possibility. Flocking birds are also occasionally susceptable to various communicable diseases such as trichomonas or salmonella. I suppose its also possible that they have recently changed feeding habits away from seeds/rubbish and more towards insects/invertrebates to feed nestlings...

Guillemots at Clogherhead

Just been in Clogherhead and counted 9 Black Guillemots at the pier. 7 were on the concrete blocks at the back of the pier and 2 in the water. Enclosed photo shows one of them ringed.

Attachments

• tn_Black Guillimots at Clogherhead 05.JPG
    tn_Black Guillimots at Clogherhead 05.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 102
Talk in Spirit Store tomorrow (Monday night)

Peter/Breffni, is it tomorrow night you are both giving a talk in the Spirit Store in Dundalk? Is it at 8pm?

Red legged Partridge

I had a Red legged partridge in the garden today along with 10 Tree Sparrows. Visited Cortial lake. Between 6-8 Sedge Warblers in song and one new Grasshopper Warbler which gave excellent views.
Thousands of frogs at Cortial!

Peter

Attachments

• Cort2.JPG
    Cort2.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Frog.JPG
    Frog.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Red legged Partridge1.JPG
    Red legged Partridge1.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Tree Sparrow.JPG
    Tree Sparrow.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Sedge Warbler.JPG
    Sedge Warbler.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Was there much open bank space at available at Cortial? might give it a try for fishing some weekend, I heard it used to be great spot

Good night at the Spirit Store on Monday, both Breffni and Peter's talks were excellent.

On Sunday had my first common sandpiper, whimbrels and sedge warbler (heard) of the year at Hermitage. There was a willow warbler singing too. Wheatear at Cruisetown.

Later on at Lurgangreen there were 2 pairs of gadwalls. I think Enda had some there a month or two ago too.

Numbers of black guillemots at Clogherhead seem to be down a bit in the last few days. On Monday there was one in one of the new nest holes at the end of the pier.

Attachments

• heron nestling beaulieu 200407.JPG
    heron nestling beaulieu 200407.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 89
  • r pipit clogher 220407.JPG
    r pipit clogher 220407.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Was there much open bank space at available at Cortial? might give it a try for fishing some weekend, I heard it used to be great spot

Hi Gareth,

Yes there is access to the shore. Cattle have grazed right to the shore at one location. Access through the fields at the southern end of the lake.

Peter

Numbers of black guillemots at Clogherhead seem to be down a bit in the last few days. On Monday there was one in one of the new nest holes at the end of the pier.

As laying time moves nearer they may be drawn into the cavities - it will be interesting to see - either way the council has again promised to spend more money next year improving the situation.

Caught up with the yellow wagtail at kilkool, and a passing whinchat last sunday. Big numbers of whimbril in, and still good numbers of white wagtails and the odd wheatear around Balaggan area, also nesting tree sparrows. The day there was fog (Tuesday?) there were a few manx shearwaters offshore. The pioneering sandmartins have now excavated at least 20 holes - most seem to be abandoned for one reason or another. It looks like 8 pairs so far. Yesterday they were gathering bits of straw and dried seaweed for nest lining:
Sandmartin timeline
12 April - no sandmartins
13 April - arrival 6 nesting holes
15 April - 11 nesting holes - 12 birds
22 April - 14 nesting holes - 16+ birds
26 April - about 20 nesting holes - 13 birds counted - collecting straw/dried seaweed - 8 holes definately occupied

Attachments

• whinchat kilkool 2 apr 07.jpg
    whinchat kilkool 2 apr 07.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 108
  • curlew whimbril carlingford apr 07.jpg
    curlew whimbril carlingford apr 07.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 98
  • tree sparrow balaggan apr 07.jpg
    tree sparrow balaggan apr 07.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 107
Had a look for sandmartins at the Curly Hole today (part of the Boyne along the Slane Rd opposite Townley Hall). There were at least 5 there and at least 3 active nest holes. The bank they nest in changes every year when the river rises in the winter and generally the previous year's holes more or less disappear.

Panoramic view

Here is a panoramic view of Cortial Lake.

Peter

Attachments

• Cort1.JPG
    Cort1.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Cort2.JPG
    Cort2.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Cortial 1.JPG
    Cortial 1.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Cortial2.JPG
    Cortial2.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Cortial3.JPG
    Cortial3.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 75
Saw my first swift of the year at Baltray today.

There were at least 28 little terns out there, some displaying.

Large numbers of waders, particularly sanderlings and dunlins.

Attachments

• L terns baltray 290407.JPG
    L terns baltray 290407.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Singing Birds

I went to Cortial lake today with the intention of trying to photograph Grasshopper Warbler. I had no luck so took some of Sedge warbler and chaffinch instead.

Peter

ps Great news about the Little Terns!

Attachments

• Chaffinch1.JPG
    Chaffinch1.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Sedge warbler1.JPG
    Sedge warbler1.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Sedge Warbler2.JPG
    Sedge Warbler2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 91
Keenan's Pond

Visited Keenan's pond this afternoon. Saw one Common Sandpiper, 2 Whooper Swans, Mute Swans, GC Grebes, Little Grebes, Moorhen and Mallard.
Great to see the Little Terns at Baltray!!

Well done Peter to photograph the Sedge Warbler, we could hear one at Keenan's Pond, but couldn't see any.

Attachments

• tn_Whooper Swan at Keenan's Pond 1.JPG
    tn_Whooper Swan at Keenan's Pond 1.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 80
Male Ring Necked Duck in Mell Quarry this morning along with Tufted Ducks, Mute Swan, GC Grebe, Shelduck, Coot, Moorhen and Little Grebe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back