• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

finding other English speaking birders in tw (1 Viewer)

brd

Hey all, just wanted to know if there were any tips on where to find d some folks to go birding with that might speak some English. My birding and Chinese are somewhat rudimentary, but I'm hoping time improve them both. I know wbst does tours but I'm guessing they're all Chinese. Any tips? I currently live in the center of Taipei, where I'll be for the next 8 months.

Hey all, just wanted to know if there were any tips on where to find d some folks to go birding with that might speak some English. My birding and Chinese are somewhat rudimentary, but I'm hoping time improve them both. I know wbst does tours but I'm guessing they're all Chinese. Any tips? I currently live in the center of Taipei, where I'll be for the next 8 months.
I was initially unsure what 'tw' was, then read your post properly and saw mention of Taipei so...

I visited Taiwan on a birding trip this May (see my trip report entitled 'Taiwan Trip Report 2012', if interested), and found getting about was relatively straight forward even though I didn't do the driving, due to the bilingual road signs. We also encountered a fair number of Chinese who knew enough English to communicate with.

BF member Mark Bruce is still, I believe, based in Taiwan; you could PM him, I'm sure he would be happy to help!

I studied Chinese for years and was floored by the Chinese I encountered in Taiwan, having studied Putonghua, the Chinese standard in the People's Republic, and that despite Mandarin being spoken in Taiwan. The characters in Taiwan are the traditional ones, often more complex than the PRC ones. With practice, though you should get familiar with them, even though there are thousands to learn!

I am from UK and based in Taipei and try to get out most weekends to do bird photography...you are welcome to join me anytime although it's very slow this time of the year in the Taipei area....there is a trip to Matsu on 21st September with the Wild Bird Society, there may still be spaces?

Cheers

Dave

Thank you both for the replies. I will definitely check out that trip report. And Dave, I'd love to go snap some flicks with you at some point. Bird photograph y is actually my main interest. I'm not sure my budget can afford much more than the 300 mm lens I have, do you know anything about where to find digiscoping gear here?
I'll pm you about meeting up at some point and thanks for the heads up on the matsu tripc how can I keep abreast of stuff like that in the future, do you know?

Welcome

I'm looking forward to Matsu Migration with Dave, should be good.

I'll pm you about meeting up at some point and thanks for the heads up on the matsu tripc how can I keep abreast of stuff like that in the future, do you know?
I may add some info to my blog http://birdingtaiwan.blogspot.tw/ of upcoming bird society trips whether I am on them them or not. Had great fun on the high seas yesterday on route to Taiwanese islands to the north - was with a group from Taipei Wild Bird Soc. Even without good Chinese you will be made welcome - and just hope the focus stays on birding and not too much food/sights.

As well as Matsu (email me if interested, may not be spaces left) TWBS have trips to Kenting for raptors on October 6-8th, Xitou (good mid/high-level forest) on October 27-28, Gueishan (Turtle) Island October 17th.

Howdy. What a great blog! That picture of the fairy pitta is terriffic. Very jealous of your recent exploits. I will email the folks over there, I've not yet been to any of the Taiwanese islands, and this sounds like a great opportunity (if there's room). Also, since you mentioned a scope, any advice on where to look for those in Taiwan? (I know you live in the south, but if you know of anything in the north...)

Also, since you mentioned a scope, any advice on where to look for those in Taiwan? (I know you live in the south, but if you know of anything in the north...)

I suggest looking at reviews on the internet (global) and then searching on local 'auction' websites especially yahoo. Many of the 'real' shops sell new stuff at good prices there. Will need to do in Chinese.

Consider brands such as Nikon - that don't have the 'face' value, but often can compete with the elite German/Austrian names.

hi there brd. i live in taichung and am also looking for any english speaking birders out there. my chinese isn't so great. i'm a beginning birder, but very keen. if you are down in this area give me a shout. i'd love to check out some spots around taipei as well. have you found a team for the birdathon?

anyone out there looking to form a team for the upcoming birdathon? i have a vehicle and enthusiasm to offer. :) based in taichung.

hi there brd. i live in taichung and am also looking for any english speaking birders out there. my chinese isn't so great. i'm a beginning birder, but very keen. if you are down in this area give me a shout. i'd love to check out some spots around taipei as well. have you found a team for the birdathon?

If you want to check out Taipei I would be glad to show you some places although I can only do it at weekends.

Taipei birding actually improved greatly last week with lots of new migrants and good birds starting to show up including:-

Pacific Golden Plovers....25+
Wood Sandpiper
Marsh Sandpiper
Dunlin
Yellow, White and Gray Wagtails....a Citrine was also seen just over a week ago
Chestnut Munia (10)
Common Waxbill (Escapees....but seem to be nesting)
Asian Glossy Starlings
Scaly Thrush
Great Cormorant
Oriental Honey-Buzzard
Osprey (2)
Spot-billed Duck
Zitting Cisticola
Plenty of Snipes
Black-faced Buntings

Plus all the usual regulars, Prinias, Mynas, Green-winged Teal, Munias, Shrikes, Waterhen, Herons, etc

Not sure about the Birdathon but maybe interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back