• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Taiwanese owls (1 Viewer)

iain tomlinson

Hello, I am an avid owler who is interested in visiting Taiwan in May in search of owls. My targets are Collared scops, Mountain scops, Elegant scops, Tawny fish and himalayan wood owl.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Cheers, Iain

I was in Taiwan, with Richard Foster guiding, last month.

The only owl we saw on Taiwan itself was Mountain Scops, heard and then lured in on the way down from Fireflies Lodge pre-dawn one morning. The owner of Fireflies is renowned for finding both Mountain and Collared Scops, but not the nights we were there.

Richard found out, too late for us, that a pair of Collared Scops are resident in a temple somewhere in the south of the island.

Elegant, or Ryukyu, or Lanyu, Scops Owl is easy on Lanyu Island off the SE coast. We heard at least three calling and saw one very well in 'Flycatcher Gully' during a late morning visit.

Steve

Hello, I am an avid owler who is interested in visiting Taiwan in May in search of owls. My targets are Collared scops, Mountain scops, Elegant scops, Tawny fish and himalayan wood owl.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Cheers, Iain

Hi Iain

Just back myself, had great views of three Chinese/Taiwan Tawny Owls in the Alishan/Yushan area and saw Lanyu/Elegant Scops Owl easily on Lanyu Island.

Otherwise heard Mountain Scops most places on the mainland but was a bit too lazy to go chasing them! Also heard Collared Owlet at Yushan but was miles away so didn't stand a chance with that one.

I've just put my trip report on my blog.

Cheers, Andy

Hi Iain,

Collared Scops-Owl can be found in Taipei Botanical Gardens.....they seem to be resident there but can be hard to see. Usually can be seen and photographed in Feb/March just after breeding. Have also see Collared Scops-Owl in Jinshan.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Collared Scops-Owl.jpg
    Collared Scops-Owl.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 116
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back