• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (2 Viewers)

Gorgeous brown and pale grey some sort of a Dove I think with a large Woodpigeon drinking water up on roof. I have never seen Doves that colour and got brillant pictures so will post later as running to Omeath. That is most likely what I saw as correct colours but gone when I went to photograph.

Here are these pictures not exactly sure if Doves or Woodpigeons except that both of them have red eyes and thought that means Doves from looking at a book but could be wrong. Anyway I have seen lovely pale cream beigy Collared Doves fairly often here in summer and hear them often but not the one here which looks browny/pale grey at distance but actually more colourful close up. I have seen the more bluey one or something similar in the summer. I wonder is that the Mistle Thrush in last picture nearby too.
I saw either a Sparrowhawk or Buzzard (really rather large browny/white wingspan) literally at bottom of field in Omeath in very high trees near Park grounds or at least that is what looked like after checking a book. Workmen and diggers are there widening the avenue so perhaps disturbed it from deep in woods there.

Attachments

• Winter february birds 042.jpg
    Winter february birds 042.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Winter february birds 045.jpg
    Winter february birds 045.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Winter february birds 039.jpg
    Winter february birds 039.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Winter february birds 044.jpg
    Winter february birds 044.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Winter february birds 046.jpg
    Winter february birds 046.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 45
pics of y.l.gull

Went down to lurgangreen after the birdwatching event hosted by the chamber of commerce but no sign of iceland, glaucous or yellowlegged gull, not green wing teal, but there were five pink footed geese grazing on the mudflats and a single male ruff along the riverbank...

Photos from lurgangreen......

Attachments

• wax y l gull flightlur jan25.jpg
    wax y l gull flightlur jan25.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 51
  • wax y l gull flight lur jan6666.jpg
    wax y l gull flight lur jan6666.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 52
  • wax y l gull 196a.jpg
    wax y l gull 196a.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 56
  • wax y l gull 204a.jpg
    wax y l gull 204a.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 58
  • wax y l gull 153 a.jpg
    wax y l gull 153 a.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 47
Heard skylarks for the first time this year, earlier today singing their hearts out from a high! Lovely to hear.

I believe I heard and saw two of them down at the lower shore in Omeath too. I had a picture but thought it not close enough so deleted.

I also had two really lovely Long Tailed pink and black Tits in Willow tree and then on close peanut feeder today (not that I cant sleep just off to see my grandaughter early).

"Birds of Poland and the Conservation Work of Birdlife International "

A presentation and slide show by Niall Hatch of Birdwatch Ireland will take place on Tuesday 24th February @8pm in the Farnham Arms Hotel (http://www.farnhamarmshotel.com/), Cavan.

All welcome, come along and bring a friend.

Niall will talk about his visit to Bialowieza National Park (world heritage site) and Biebrza Marshes (wetland site under RAMSAR protection) both situated in the North East of Poland and sites of major importance. Bialowieza Forest is a vast woodland complex and one of the largest remaining remnants of ancient European forest. A great variety of wildlife thrives here and it is a fantastic place to see woodpeckers, owls, raptors and many other species of bird not found or rare in Western Europe. Biebrza Marshes also supports an incredible biodiversity. Rare birds such as the Aquatic Warbler and Great Snipe breed here. Many birds also stop over to rest and feed here on migration.

Hi all,

This evening at Cruisetown Strand (and adjacent fields), myself & Noel Keogh saw:
1 adult argentatus Herring Gull
1 1st-winter Iceland Gull
600+ Golden Plover
a wing-tagged 1st-year Hen Harrier (left wing green tag, J...right wing navy tag, J)
2 Buzzards
a minimum of 70 Tree Sparrows
several Yellowhammers

Also, at Annagassan there was a Common Gull with a deep orange-red bill...which looked exactly like this...http://www.sligobirding.com/CartronGull.html

In my opinion the structure, mantle colour, primary pattern etc. all point towards the bird being a Common Gull with an abberant bill colour and not a hybrid as some have suggested.

Has anyone seen birds like this before? I wonder if the Louth and Sligo birds are the same???

The Helm Gulls guide states under the Abberant section in the Common Gull account, "Adult winter with reddish tinge to bill observed in Feb.", but I don't think the extent of colouration of the Annagassan & Sligo bird(s) would fall under into category.

Regards,
Niall

Last edited:
I am not getting out much so cant comment on the gull. Female Brambling in the garden again today.There are some benefits to doing the washing up after all....

Louth Bird List 2009

As we near the end of February most of the regular winter birds have made it onto the louth list for 2009.
The current figure now stands at 112 and is based on info requested and received from Louth birders. If there are any additions please let me know.

7 weeks gone in the year and no kingfisher, jay, crossbill, twite, razorbill, LT duck or shovelers reported to date!

PS I have provisionally included the Flurrybridge bittern - I had no luck in my efforts to get in touch with the observer. The members of the CFRBICL Committee for rare birds in county Louth will make their discision in due course ;)

Attachments

• Louth Bird List 2009 090222.pdf
    27 KB · Views: 80
Hi Derek,

From my own notes:

113 Velvet Scoter, The Hermitage, 24th Jan
114 Mediterranean Gull, Cruisetown Strand, 24th Jan
115 Gadwall, Lurgangreen, 9th Feb

From searching Irishbirding.com:

116 Twite, Soldier's Point, 5th Jan
117 Jack Snipe, Togher Pond, 25th Jan
118 Snow Bunting, Carlingford Mountain, 31st Jan

Regards,

Neal

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back