• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (3 Viewers)

ardnasx1 said:
2 ruffs at Seabank yesterday afternoon.

I had 4 Ruff at Castletown (beside Dundalk docks) around the same time yesterday. Not much else. I was checking the teal for the green winged, no luck,anybody seen this bird lately? Is there anything else about?

RKell1 said:
I can tell you that L.C.C have all the power in their By-Laws when it comes to preventing this type of irresponsible behaviour and can add large boulders to deter 4x4 activity or erect stronger fencing. Last year Fingal did some small works on the broadmeadow estuary where people were driving over the grassed area by the shingle beach and churning up the grasses etc.
It is also an offence under the wildlife act to knowingly disturb nesting birds so use the act and their own Louth Foreshore By- Laws to force them to take action if they seem anyway hesitant. Gardai will also take action if reported.

Hi Ray
Thanks for the advise.
Derek

Peter Phillips said:
I had 4 Ruff at Castletown (beside Dundalk docks) around the same time yesterday. Not much else. I was checking the teal for the green winged, no luck,anybody seen this bird lately? Is there anything else about?
A green winged teal was seen at Lurgangreen in early January, and I think there was a recent report of one in north Co Dublin, can't remember where. Could be the same bird on the move? We had our last iwebs count of the season yesterday morning in very difficult conditions. There was very little around, they were sheltering I'd imagine. Shovelers were still present in Beaulieu pond. Had a probable argentatus herring gull at Lurgangreen in the afternoon, very few greylags there.

RKell1 said:
I can tell you that L.C.C have all the power in their By-Laws when it comes to preventing this type of irresponsible behaviour and can add large boulders to deter 4x4 activity or erect stronger fencing.
I found out since that a removable pillar type thing was erected at the entrance to the beach at Termonfeckin some time back. Seemingly it is rarely in place so we can try to get this reinstated. There is easier access to the beach at Ganderstown (firmer sand) which is further north towards Clogherhead. If they could erect a similar type of removable pillar (allowing access for emergency services) there that might be a help, we can look into that.

Might be worth considering lobbying out local TD's and councilor's. They are all more than willing to grab votes with the election looming, and all the would have to do is make provision for some fencing and some signs ??
If a letter was drafted by someone in the Little Tern group outlining briefly the project and its importance, contact details, and what is needed for this season to protect the Terns then we can all download it and hand it to our local reps or email it to them. Surely one of them would take it on ?
Just a thought though, maybe its the wrong angle to go at this time.

gareth2005 said:
Might be worth considering lobbying out local TD's and councilor's. They are all more than willing to grab votes with the election looming, and all the would have to do is make provision for some fencing and some signs ??
If a letter was drafted by someone in the Little Tern group outlining briefly the project and its importance, contact details, and what is needed for this season to protect the Terns then we can all download it and hand it to our local reps or email it to them. Surely one of them would take it on ?
Just a thought though, maybe its the wrong angle to go at this time.

Politicians are good for putting pressure on the council if they are being difficult - councils will tend to play very safe as a rule. If we were to really push for 24 hour wardening, caravan, electric fence etc the cost would be significant and we would have to prove that its really worth it (eg right now we have very little evidence that birds have successfully fledged young in the last 10 years). I think that if we can do the daytime thing this year and get a better handle on the numbers we may have a case for next year...notwithstanding the opportunity the election represents...so if they call at the door certainly mention it!

Very quiet birding weekend - four buzzards displaying over ravensdale the best...but i notice on surfbirds www.surfbirds.com that a white-billed diver and a white morph gyr falcon are in cornwall and since both will have to pass this way heading north very soon, keep an eye out!

Very quiet week-end indeed. Had hoped that the winds might blow in some different and exciting birds!! Had been beefing up on the how to id a black throated diver but visibility in the morning time was very poor with the wind and rain so there could have been whales out there for all that I could see! The highlight of Sunday was the rough tide at Hermitage.

Attachments

• tn_Hermitage 05.03.2007 01.JPG
    tn_Hermitage 05.03.2007 01.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 143
  • tn_Hermitage 05.03.2007 03.JPG
    tn_Hermitage 05.03.2007 03.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 127
breffni said:
Not forgetting the lunar eclipse on Saturday night...

Nice photo Breffni - here's a red one - would have got a few more but over 120 people turned up at the Eclipse Watch I organised in Blackrock. And for once the Irish weather didn't mess things up.

Attachments

• 2007_0303_235807AAc.jpg
    2007_0303_235807AAc.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 133
Checked out Mell Quarry this morning on my way to work. There is a Ring Necked Duck there along with Tufted Ducks, also GC Grebes, Mallards, Little Grebes and Coots.

MargaretM said:
Checked out Mell Quarry this morning on my way to work. There is a Ring Necked Duck there along with Tufted Ducks, also GC Grebes, Mallards, Little Grebes and Coots.
How'd you get in?

MargaretM said:

Well done Margaret!

Very quite between Cruisetown and Hermitage today. Best I had was 3 Buzzard and 64 Whooper Swans 1km west of Keenan's Cross pond, feeding on winter wheat.

Peter

breffni said:
How'd you get in?
Didn't get in Breffni. I stood outside along the road and could see quite well through the grids in the fence and fortunately the duck was in the area of the pond that was within my view. There is still a lot of work going on there, it must be costing a fortune!! Went down there at lunch time and the duck is still there though it was feeding so it was like 'now you see it, now you don't'.

Peter Phillips said:
Very quite between Cruisetown and Hermitage today. Best I had was 3 Buzzard and 64 Whooper Swans 1km west of Keenan's Cross pond, feeding on winter wheat.
Perhaps those are the Whooper Swans that were at Salterstown some weeks ago. They had been in a field with Greylag.

Saw the ring necked duck at lunchtime. Presuming this is the same bird, anyone know how many years this bird has been returning to Mell?

Ring Necked Duck still showing at Mell Quarry yesterday. Quiet day out. Approx 80 Greylag Geese and quite a few Brent at Lurgangreen. Quite a few Golden Eye there as well, also Black Tailed and Bar Tailed Godwits, Golden Plover, Knot, Green and Red Shank, Dunlin, Pintail, Curlew, Widgeon, Teal, Mallard, 3 Little Egrets and what we presumed to be a Merlin, the visibility was too poor to see it clearly.

Took a bunch of kids on an outing around Carlingford - saw fek all - little egrets the best - weather very bad for birdwatching - its amazing how thrilling people still find the little egrets...

I was thinking of planting a few drills of oats, kale, flax, linseed and the like and leave it in the ground for winter feeding, but where can i get seed in kilo type quantaties? Goldcrop only seem to have the oats...

breffni said:
Took a bunch of kids on an outing around Carlingford - saw fek all - little egrets the best - weather very bad for birdwatching - its amazing how thrilling people still find the little egrets...

I was thinking of planting a few drills of oats, kale, flax, linseed and the like and leave it in the ground for winter feeding, but where can i get seed in kilo type quantaties? Goldcrop only seem to have the oats...

Don't really know who stocks those sorts of seeds Breffni. Power Seeds are wholesalers and would sell Kale as well as Cereal Seeds, perhaps they could point you in the right direction. http://www.powerseeds.ie/seeds/seeds_rootseeds_kale.asp

Strangely enough I did hear about your kids outing which was enjoyed, apparently you had great patience with your audience!!

Had a Redpoll in my garden at the weekend, still amazed at the diversity of bird life there is in urban areas of Dundalk.
Bought the house in December and since I started feeding the birds there I have a daily visit by up to 4 Goldfinches, countless Chaffinches and Greenfinches as well as the other usual visitors.

Took a trip out to the beach at Baltray today. The landscape has really changed there after the storms, unfortunately I don't think it will be to the benefit of the little terns. Last year the area they nested on was a raised ridge on the beach, and there was a stretch of sand between the ridge and the dunes which was where the beach naturally led you to walk. That ridge has moved back to join dunes and there is no stretch of sand, and to walk the beach up to the Boyne would now mean walking on the nesting area. I think we'll have our work cut out for us this year! There were at least 10 pairs of ringed plovers there on the nesting area.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back