• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (10 Viewers)

last week on navvy bank

Attachments

• IMG_5852.jpg
    IMG_5852.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5853.jpg
    IMG_5853.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5841.jpg
    IMG_5841.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5849.jpg
    IMG_5849.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5879.jpg
    IMG_5879.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 65
Was thinking it would be difficult to digiscope some of the "action" photos.
Not like that birder to be "out in the field" - would a photo of him sitting in the van with a flask and sambos not be more appropriate? ;)
Have been hearing very good reports about your Kowa. Unfortunately every time I am out you are not and vica versa. I will give you a call some day this week.
Headed to Rathescar lake and woods today rather than going to the coast - have not been there before - fantastic site (but no Jays!)

John,
Don't give up totally on Shrike; I took this distant image of this Shrike at Naul. I was one side of a valley and it was on the other side. It was almost impossible to get closer to it due to it holding a high perch where it could see everything. Without going back through my slides to be sure: I think I took the image in May 2000 (it was May for definite)
Regards,
Joe

Attachments

• shrike naul.jpg
    shrike naul.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 66
At least one shoveler still in Beaulieu yesterday, only saw the one (male) but the other was probably around. Spotted 3 siskins in Margaret's garden on the feeders too!

Just noticed on Paul Kelly's site that the ring necked duck in Mell Quarry is a 1st winter bird, so in that case it isn't the same bird returning year after year!

John,
Don't give up totally on Shrike; I took this distant image of this Shrike at Naul. I was one side of a valley and it was on the other side. It was almost impossible to get closer to it due to it holding a high perch where it could see everything. Without going back through my slides to be sure: I think I took the image in May 2000 (it was May for definite)
Regards,
Joe

Naul, County Dublin? That must be the first Dublin record surely! If it is the Naul County Dublin,could you put in on the County Dublin forum. It would be nice to have a picture of a realy rare Dublin bird on it.

Thanks Peter

Last edited:
Just noticed on Paul Kelly's site that the ring necked duck in Mell Quarry is a 1st winter bird, so in that case it isn't the same bird returning year after year!

Hi sandra,

I think the mell bird is the same bird that frequented Keenans a month or so ago, and yes different from the adult last year.

Singing in the rain.

I was out today for a couple of hours. I went to Lurgangreen and Dromiskin first. No sign of the 2nd winter Ring billed Gull at Lurgangreen or the 20 or so Pink-footed Geese seen on the Commons Road yesterday evening. I might try Lurgangreen later this evening.

About 300 Greylag Geese in the fields including one with a neck band SCU. I will let you all know where it came from when I here back.

A cold wet and miserable day. Still one Iceland Gull at Cruisetown and a dark eyed sub adult 'Herring Gull type' at Salterstown.

At Clogher Head the Black Guillemots are back, with 6 in the Harbour, on the wall. I got a few shots from the car window, as they were singing in the rain.

Attachments

• blagu1.JPG
    blagu1.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 52
  • blagu2.JPG
    blagu2.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 62
  • blagu3.JPG
    blagu3.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 60
  • blagu4.JPG
    blagu4.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 67
  • blagu5.JPG
    blagu5.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 67
Peter,
The Shrike was taken over the Delvin; it was on the Meath bank and I was on the Dublin side. This was not anything unusual to me as I am not a real birder and had no interest in its 'rare status'. Two years ago I showed that picture to some serious birders and they were upset I did not tell them of this bird.
Joe

Peter,
The Shrike was taken over the Delvin; it was on the Meath bank and I was on the Dublin side. This was not anything unusual to me as I am not a real birder and had no interest in its 'rare status'. Two years ago I showed that picture to some serious birders and they were upset I did not tell them of this bird.
Joe

Hi Joe-great find and photo.

Anyway its still a great record and I am sure was a first for Meath. If you could try to find the date (or even a guesstimation) it would be a good one to have for the record books.

Any more little jems?

Peter

Last edited:
Peter,
This is the record of the date for the Shrike; took the last hour to find it. That Harrier (next page)provided no evidence I'm afraid; it was unreal in the difficulty to get even good views, never mind a photo.
Both the Derrick on Rockabill & the lovely valley are no more, The valley was used for 're-instatement by top-soil'. You should see it now, just new grass and very little wildlife.
BTW when I saw the Shrike I did not know what it was until I checked the guide books.
Otherwise I'm gem-less,
Joe

Attachments

• Derrick  on Rockabill.jpg
    Derrick on Rockabill.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Snow scene feb 2001.jpg
    Snow scene feb 2001.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Records of Roche Valley  Naul .jpg
    Records of Roche Valley Naul .jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 91
Hello all,
Got my copy of the new edition of Irish Birds in the post today.
I notice that your Local Patch thread gets a mention on page 298. Its as a reference for an article on Scarce Migrants in Ireland, 2004-2006.
Congratulations

Hello all,
Got my copy of the new edition of Irish Birds in the post today.
I notice that your Local Patch thread gets a mention on page 298. Its as a reference for an article on Scarce Migrants in Ireland, 2004-2006.
Congratulations

Thanks for that Joe.

Good to see we are in official print. I must order my copy tomorrow. I would not like a recurrence of 1996 (none left) I think it was an excellent year for rare birds -or did they do a limited print run?

Below are a couple of photos of the dark eyed 3rd winter 'argenteus' Herring Gull at Salterstown today.

Attachments

• hgull1.jpg
    hgull1.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 59
  • hgull2.jpg
    hgull2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 55
Naul, County Dublin? That must be the first Dublin record surely! If it is the Naul County Dublin,could you put in on the County Dublin forum. It would be nice to have a picture of a realy rare Dublin bird on it.

Thanks Peter

Hi Peter,

There's been at least two records of Woodchat Shrike in Dublin. There was one in Howth in March 1990 and also one in Dundrum in May 1988. Don't recall any in Dublin since then. This might be the first Meath record though!

All the best,

Tom Shevlin

Hi Peter,

There's been at least two records of Woodchat Shrike in Dublin. There was one in Howth in March 1990 and also one in Dundrum in May 1988. Don't recall any in Dublin since then. This might be the first Meath record though!

All the best,

Tom Shevlin

Thanks for that Tom. I think it is the first for Meath.

I was out today for my usual tour of the coast. Very Quiet. Still 3 Iceland Gulls at Cruisetown. The best at hermitage was a fly by adult Gannet

116. Gannet

By the way in mid-March 1990 there was quite a fall of Mediterranean species, mostly in southern counties. I remember going for a Little Bittern near Ballycotton, Cork (I saw it, but it was dead when I got there!) and there were up to six Black-winged Stilts also found around there at that time - some sight that was! Also I think there were Black-winged Stilts in Wexford and Galway and elsewhere there were Purple and Night Herons and a couple of Woodchat Shrikes as well as Ireland's first Desert Wheatear at Carnsore Point in Wexford.

Worth looking out for a repeat of those type of conditions in March (southerly winds originating in North Africa/S. Europe). Dunany Point looks good for a shrike but I don't think Woodchat or Red-backed have occured in Louth. I think there is a 19th century record of Great Grey Shrike from Beaulieu though!

TS

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back