• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best walks in Mull. (1 Viewer)

WhiteTailed22

Hello everyone,

I am heading to the Isle of Mull on Tuesday for a camping / birdwatching trip.

Can anyone recommend some good walks to me? I've been to Mull before but it was a number of years ago.

Ideally, i'd love to see some birds of prey (White Tailed, Golden Eagle, Merlin, possibly Short Eared Owl?) and I would also love to see some divers in their summer plumage.

If anyone can get back to me, would be greatly appreciated!

Hi WT

Someone asked this a year or two back, if you an bear to do a search (I don't quite have the time at the moment).

Years ago I got a booklet from the Tourist Office called Walking in South Mull & Iona. Whether they still have it I don't know.

The area you want to look at would be between Craignure, Salen and Loch Na Keal, where Ben More is. There's various access points for footpaths.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with more information. Meanwhile have a look at the Opus article for Mull. It's full of useful information and links.

Hi WT

Someone asked this a year or two back, if you an bear to do a search (I don't quite have the time at the moment).

Years ago I got a booklet from the Tourist Office called Walking in South Mull & Iona. Whether they still have it I don't know.

The area you want to look at would be between Craignure, Salen and Loch Na Keal, where Ben More is. There's various access points for footpaths.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with more information. Meanwhile have a look at the Opus article for Mull. It's full of useful information and links.

Thanks for getting back to me! I'll have a quick search now :)

Not sure if this book is still in print but if so may help : Birdwatching on Mull and Iona: A Pocket Guide with Maps Paperback – 6 Dec 2010
by David Sexton (Author), Philip Snow (Illustrator)

Phil

Hi, we are off to Mull next Saturday. Here is a link to some walks and areas worth exploring:

http://www.wildfuture.co.uk/index.php/isle-of-mull#areas

We like to walk by Loch Ba. Car parking area at Knock just over Knock Bridge (just reopened) by RH bend.

Grasspoint is a good walk from parking area down to shore and back, then up hill to high cliffs. Plenty of opportunities to see the birds on your list.

Dave

Thanks Dave - I've added that link to the Opus article.

Thanks so much Dave.

That one is now added too. I've made an extra heading for walking information such as that. So if I'm not around you'll know where to point people in future.

And I just need to remember that they're there LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back