• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (14 Viewers)

OK so far today, down the coast between Filey and Spurn we have...

Ortolan Bunting x 3
Icterine Warbler x 3
Barred Warbler x 4
Wryneck x 3
Common Rosefinch x 2
Firecrest
Spotted Crake
Red-rumped Swallow
Long-tailed Skua x 3

Bets on how much is left for the weekend...? ;)

A good number of these are single reports only so I suspect most will have gone already. Should be plenty more scarce about at the weekend and probably a Mega or two as I'm away!

Flamborough

lot of migrants around today in the bay brambles up at the lighthouse , especially first thing this morn, common rosefinch, icterine warbler, wryneck, barred warbler, common redstarts, spotted & pied flycatchers, firecrests, goldcrests, garden warblers, whinchats, wheatears, 2 yellow wags south

lot of migrants around today in the bay brambles up at the lighthouse , especially first thing this morn, common rosefinch, icterine warbler, wryneck, barred warbler, common redstarts, spotted & pied flycatchers, firecrests, goldcrests, garden warblers, whinchats, wheatears, 2 yellow wags south

I was at Spurn on Saturday and my feet are itchy already. Oh why don't I live nearer the coast?

My son & I have the best part of Sunday afternoon free for getting out & about, as my wife & daughter are out with friends. So, I thought we might head over to Flamborough for the afternoon.

However, we have now aquired a family puppy so I will have her with me as well. I realise I can't go on to Bempton RSPB, so where would be best to head in the Flamborough area?

Cheers,

Richard

My son & I have the best part of Sunday afternoon free for getting out & about, as my wife & daughter are out with friends. So, I thought we might head over to Flamborough for the afternoon.

However, we have now aquired a family puppy so I will have her with me as well. I realise I can't go on to Bempton RSPB, so where would be best to head in the Flamborough area?

Cheers,

Richard

As long as your puppy is kept on a leash you should be free to take it anywhere in the Flamborough/Bempton area. Most, if not all paths are open to the public and are used by dog walkers.

I have seen many dogs at Bempton RSPB although you may like to double check that they are allowed on the reserve.

My biggest concern would be taking a young, excitable animal so close to the cliffs. Every week it seems our local paper is full of stories involving dogs (and people) plunging to a certain death! A number of these fatalities involve puppies that have slipped off their leash.

My biggest concern would be taking a young, excitable animal so close to the cliffs. Every week it seems our local paper is full of stories involving dogs (and people) plunging to a certain death! A number of these fatalities involve puppies that have slipped off their leash.

Hmmm, good point Mike, never thought about that, although we did take her to Filey Brigg last week!!!! Might have to rethink this one for the weekend.

Cheers,

Richard

Hmmm, good point Mike, never thought about that, although we did take her to Filey Brigg last week!!!! Might have to rethink this one for the weekend.

Cheers,

Richard

I should add that there are plenty of areas well away from the cliffs, e.g. Old Fall Hedge and Plantation, parts of South Landing and Danes Dyke. Needless to say, however, that many of the scarce birds turn up next to the sea!

I was going to suggest Crosby beach. Know I'm a miserable get but I can't stand having dogs walked around me when I'm out birding.

You can park at Kilnsea for free, a trip onto Spurn costs £3 per car.

I was going to suggest Crosby beach. Know I'm a miserable get but I can't stand having dogs walked around me when I'm out birding.

You can park at Kilnsea for free, a trip onto Spurn costs £3 per car.

Cheers for the suggestion, James.

I fully appreciate your position, and if I'm honest I wouldn't want her with me if I wanted to go on a solely birding day. Before we got her I felt the same!!

On reflection, though, I think we're just going to head somewhere like Strid Woods instead of the coast, but I'll bear yours & Mike's suggestions in mind for the future.

Richard

Hi,

Is parking free at Spurn Point?

Thanks

Parking is free up to the Warren which is 3 miles from the point. After that it costs 3 quid (which is nothing really) and there are one or two places to park on the way down and a large car park near the end.
Dogs are not allowed on the point.

Flamborough

Icterine still about in the gorse and brambles by the footpath to north landing up at the lighthouse, still a few migrants around, pied, spotted fly, garden , willow warblers, chiffchaffs, lesser & common whitethroats, common redstarts, blackcaps, had a couple of goldcrests this morn, a few siskin coming in off the sea this evening too ,
IcterineWarbler001.jpg

A drop in work load and the coast looking good led to me jacking work at lunch for a few hours down at Spurn - ended up at sammy's where a heard only Firecrest refused to show. It was crawling with Redstart, Pied Fly & Spot Fly and apparently a Wood Warbler was about although I missed that. I was fortunate enough to see the Red-breasted Flycatcher at 15.20. Watching from the stile on the path a flycatcher dashed right across the bushes showing a thick black terminal bar and white uppertail. It dropped out of sight and then flicked back left before being lost to view. Not great views but good enough for me. Rumour was doing the rounds that the bird was a load of string so fortunatly I wasnt the only person to see the bird. Strangely I reported the bird by text to birdguides and a report came out about a pied fly. I rang up to correct it and it wasnt corrected although the other birds I mentioned were put out. Bizarre! Apologies to anyone that went without - i tried my best.

Finally managed a lifer in the form of an Ictarine Warbler in the bay brambles last night. A very fine individual. Another intriging bird was a slightly grayer bird of the same general jizz that was seen prior to the showing of the more yellower first individual. I also saw on monday a strangely marked wheatear that had white above and below the eye and a browny red back with strongly marked flight feathers. Got very excited but could not relocate the bird in the strong winds. possible greenland race. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back