• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader, Dorset, June (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
Found these during a tidy-up - taken in Dorset back in June 1977! Camera was a Kodak Instamatic (about half a step up from a Box Brownie), and scanned, so not great quality. See if you can tell what a 13 year old (and his 12 year old friend) made of this bird -

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Scan2.jpg
    Scan2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Scan3.jpg
    Scan3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 106
I see a grey phalarope here too - seems to have red all the way along the undertail coverts and I doubt a knot would allow such a close approach .

It was indeed a Grey Phalarope - on a stream by a caravan park (where we were staying) at Charmouth! Just for a laugh, here's my notes (I still can't draw, btw) -

Attachments

• Scan4.jpg
    Scan4.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 84
I see a grey phalarope here too - seems to have red all the way along the undertail coverts and I doubt a knot would allow such a close approach .

Yes indeed Nick. My tongue was firmly in my cheek with the Knot comment.;)

PS, Grey is the only Phalarope I've not seen in summer plumage in the UK, or indeed anywhere, & IMO the best looking. I'd definitely travel a reasonable distance to see one.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back