• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

London/Cardiff holiday birding (1 Viewer)

Finbirder

Hi folks

I'm travelling to London and Cardiff for a short holiday in July and I'm interested in seeing these birds that I'm still missing:

Egyptian Goose
Golden Pheasant
Lady Amherst’s Pheasant
Mediterranean Gull
Barn Owl
Little Owl
Red Kite
(Dartford Warbler)
(Stone Curlew)

Any ideas and locations will be highly appreciated. Unfortunately I don't have much spare time to go birdwatching outside the city areas.

Cheers and thanks

-Finbirder

Last edited:
Mediterranean Gull
Tawny Owl
Little Owl
Red Kite

Hi Finbirder

I fear you'd be struggling for most of those species though you might hit lucky with feral/escapes in the London parks and you could see some owls there too. But for the ones I've quoted, Red Kite should be possible in Wales, though perhaps not in Cardiff.

I suggest you ask the Welsh boys, who you can find in this thread. They may be able to help you out with the Owls etc.

D

Thank you Delia. That's what I thought, it might be hard to see those species on a short visit but I'll try the big parks and look for some Red Kite locations in Wales.

If driving from London to Cardiff, take the M40 route and you can not miss Red Kite in the area between London and Oxford if the weather is good. Tawny Owl is in some of the London parks, but if someone doesn't point you to a roost tree, I fear you will struggle.

You should get Egyptian Goose at London WWT, both in and out of the captive areas.
If you are interested you also get Mandarin Duck that fly into the enclosures from nearby areas (eg Richmond Park) to 'associate' with the captive birds, so that could be a sneaky tick for you!

Thanks for advice. It's nice to hear that Red Kite is quite numerous there, in Finland it's a very rare visitor. I've seen few "wild" Mandarins in Finland though.

Ham Common also has:
Mandarins (male and female, and juveniles) - all the time at the moment
Red headed pochard (male - quite regular, female irregular)

Thanks for answers! I did see Red Kites on M4 between Reading and Swindon, 2-3 individuals both ways, also a few Buzzards and Kestrels between London and Cardiff. Egyptian Geese were present in London's Regent's Park, Hyde Park and St.James Park. Also saw 2 Little Grebes (in Regent's and St.James parks).

There was a huge selection of ducks at St.James Park, London. I am not sure whether they were wild or captive. What do you think about for example species like Barnacle Goose, Red-crested Pochard, Shelduck, Eider, Ruddy Duck...captive or not? Red-breasted Geese, Bar-headed Geese etc. most probably considered as captive?

What do you think about for example species like Barnacle Goose, Red-crested Pochard, Shelduck, Eider, Ruddy Duck...captive or not? Red-breasted Geese, Bar-headed Geese etc. most probably considered as captive?

I'd go: Barnacle Goose - no, Red-crested Pochard - yes, Shelduck - probably, Eider - no, Ruddy Duck - yes before it gets shot off the UK list!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back