• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Wpeckers with tears in their eyes ? (1 Viewer)

den mather

Anyone know if there are any studies explaining why Black Woodpeckers seem to have tear/arrow shaped pupils? We saw loads around the house this Easter and managed some good close views and it was clear at least sometimes that the pupils were quite different to the other local Wpeckers we managed close views of.
Den

Anyone know if there are any studies explaining why Black Woodpeckers seem to have tear/arrow shaped pupils? We saw loads around the house this Easter and managed some good close views and it was clear at least sometimes that the pupils were quite different to the other local Wpeckers we managed close views of.
Den

Perhaps they weren't Black woodpeckers. Where is your house?

I believe Den has a house in the Czech Republic too. Can't say I've ever noticed the eye shape on them - I only ever see them flying off and away.

Ah, thanks.

I've never been close enough to look them in the eyes, either. Fleeting glimpses in Latvia has been my only experience of these beauties.

Thanks all for replying. We got a farmhouse in Sumava (1 and 1/2 hours south of Prague in CZ Rep) when the Russians were leaving and as said in vacation reports (Sumava April 8 - 25) we spent a morning looking for them round the house and found at least 4 territories in 2 hours! Having driven for hours to see them in previous years. Time of year and CD player made it ridiculously easy to get them next to the car. The strange pupil then became easy to spot on 2 or 3 of them and we wondered if they were a local aberration. Thank you for perfect photo link Delia and for explanation Ed. I'm not sure of connection between iris and pupil so will look it up. Delay in replying due to travelling to said house where I'm now off out to see if Monty Harriers and Grt Grey Shrike are still about and with young (Monty had just arrived as we left in april and GG shr hadn't appeared).
den
PS I was going to ask US members if their big woodies had similar pupils to our Blackies.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back