• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding and Hiking in Navarra (Spain) (1 Viewer)

LeoRamos

Birder, Hiker and Wildlife Artist
I did this hike in early June 2013, ejoying the first days of good weather of this year, when the rain and cold has no truce.

Like many other times, I started in Iltzarbe (Ollo Valley, near Pamplona, Navarra, Spain), with destiny since the summit of the Sierra de San Donato. It’s a long trip (25 km), but it is nice for birdwatching if you take it easy. They cross several habitats: bottom valley crops, pastures with hedges and trees, and mountain grazing meadows.

This hike has been excellent in birding. 31 species! Including some I did not expect, as a booted eagle. Will she live in this pine forest? It’s the first time I see her, so I’ll watch for these times.

I have also been lucky enough to find two nice caves hidden in the undergrowth. Deep one. At least the stone I shot indicated it. A little surprise I did not expect and that gives more joy to the hike.

I insert some pictures of the environment and the birds list of this hike.

P1240828.JPG P1240829.JPG P1240831.JPG P1240833.JPG P1240839.JPG

Griffon Vulture (Gyps fulvus)
Egyptian Vulture (Neophron percnopterus)
Booted Eagle (Hieraaetus pennatus)
Red Kite (Milvus milvus)
Black Kite (Milvus migrans)
Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo)
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone)
Red-billed Chough (Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax)
Common Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus)
Red-backed Shrike (Lanius collurio)
Northern Wheater (Oenanthe oenanthe)
Tree Pipit (Anthus trivialis)
Yelloshammer (Emberiza citrinella)
European Stonechat (Saxicola nubicola)
Common Linnet (Carduelis cannabina)
European Serin (Serinus serinus)
Corn Bunting (Miliaria calandra)
European Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis)
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
Common House Martin (Delichon urbica)
Common Swift (Apus apus)
Common Blackbird (Turdus merula)
European Robin (Erithacus rubecula)
Eurasian Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes)
Great Tit (Parus major)
Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus)
Eurasian Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla)
Common Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs)
Black Redstart (Phoenicurus ochruros)
Great Spotted Woodpecker (heard) (Dendrocopos major)

Thanks!

It was a really nice hike, I think it will be difficult to repeat this number of species in just one day.

Rafael, it could be nice for the eagle owl, but the true is that is not present. It is a bit cold for him, and, spetially, is very wet.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back