• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

February 2006 Theme Challenge - 'Perched Bird' (1 Viewer)

IanF

The theme for February 2006 is 'Perched Bird'.

Entries should be of a single perched bird. This is defined as a single bird which is stood e.g. on the ground, in the water, on a tree branch, fence, lampost, telegraph pole, roof top etc. Birds in flight will not be accepted.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification. The Moderators decision is final.

Rules -

1. Entry to have been taken in the last twelve months.
2. Date taken to be included in the entry - must at least include month and year.
3. Entry to be uploaded between 1st and the 20th midnight (GMT).
4. Entries must contain a single perched bird.
5. Location taken to be included and must include county/state and country.
6. One entry per member.
7. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot - no composite images.
8. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However you have until the closing date / time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets the criteria.
9. The entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site.
10. The subject's common name must be given - though please add the scientific too!
11. Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery.

A voting booth will be posted after the 20th.

Please note 30 entries will be selected for addition to the voting booth for members to vote upon.

Entries not selected for inclusion in the voting booth will be moved to their respective Geographical Gallery forum.

Comments on entries are permitted.

Any queries about this months competition - please post below.

Ian, I think I've accidentally double-posted to the Feb competition. Can you delete the first entry?

Thanks, Jerry

Ian how do i up load my chestnut-capped laughingthrush into the compatation-every time i up load(as i do for gallery)-it doesnt upload.I wonder why.It is the same pic from my compt.(800x600).I hope you can help mem Regards-fun to take part-not too win my motto. :'D :stuck:

Dr Manjeet Singh said:
Ian how do i up load my chestnut-capped laughing thrush into the compatation-every time i up load(as i do for gallery)-it doesnt upload.I wonder why.It is the same pic from my compt.(800x600).I hope you can help mem Regards-fun to take part-not too win my motto. :'D :stuck:
It's got me puzzled as it should upload okay.

Try renaming the photo and uploading it again - Competition Forum

It just worked okay for me when I tried up loading it under my ID.

Any problems then let me know and we'll give something else a go.

On a feeder is just fine - though bear in mind this is the proposed theme for the March competition!

Hi Ian

Can you enter a bird you might already have in the gallery?

Oh!! and do you have to have the whole of the bird showing or can a close up of something like the face be ok.

John

Last edited:
Reader said:
Hi Ian

Can you enter a bird you might already have in the gallery?

John
Yep! No problem with this as long as it complies with the rules. A new copy needs to be uploaded though, rather than transferring it from the forum it's in.

IanF said:
Just kudos of winning ;)

Prize competitions are posted as such and occur several times throughout the year.

Hi Ian

You may have missed my edit to my last post.

Oh!! and do you have to have the whole of the bird showing or can a close up of something like the face be ok.

John

Dang! I must have been too quick off the mark ;)

As long as the bird is obviously perched then it should be okay. It sounds like a close crop of the face wouldn't show this though - so maybe not the best choice for this months theme.

IanF said:
Dang! I must have been too quick off the mark ;)

As long as the bird is obviously perched then it should be okay. It sounds like a close crop of the face wouldn't show this though - so maybe not the best choice for this months theme.

There is one I am considering that will be obviously perched when you see it as you are looking at the face but you can see the back of the body down to the tail which is on the floor. Does that sound acceptable?

John

Reader said:
There is one I am considering that will be obviously perched when you see it as you are looking at the face but you can see the back of the body down to the tail which is on the floor. Does that sound acceptable?

John

John, the comp is open until 20th - why not try to get a better one ;) If you're having'problems' on the suitability of the shot, the voters might feel the same way... :eek!:

Adey Baker said:
John, the comp is open until 20th - why not try to get a better one ;) If you're having'problems' on the suitability of the shot, the voters might feel the same way... :eek!:

Point taken, it's just that it is a cracker of a close up shot of a Shag. oh well, back to the drawing board.

I do have a few worth considering so will sift through them

I don't think it's worth waiting right up to the 20th. With this extremely bad light being predicted for a while getting a top photo I would have thought would be near nigh impossible.

John

Reader said:
With this extremely bad light being predicted for a while getting a top photo I would have thought would be near nigh impossible.

John

Yeah, that's the excuse I'm lining up if I don't get anything worthwhile entering!

IanF said:
It's got me puzzled as it should upload okay.

Try renaming the photo and uploading it again - Competition Forum

It just worked okay for me when I tried up loading it under my ID.

Any problems then let me know and we'll give something else a go.
Ian decided to up load my lonely one(coppersmith barbet) taken on 11.01.06. for a perched bird-followed the steps and loaded but it got loaded in the gallery home but not in the compatation gallery -did i do something wrong or have i to wait for it to be transfered from the gallery home to the compt. gallery. :'D my beard is on fire.(ah)-if you want to put the fire out send a reply. :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back