• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Dales (1 Viewer)

digi-birder

Well, it wasn't really a birding trip, so not much to report. We went to do a 'proper' walk to try and get fit, but ended up cutting it short, nipping in a pub for a wonderful meat and potato pie and mushy peas (and a pint) and then heading straight back to the car. We did take the binoculars, though.

We walked along the River Wharfe from the campsite in Appletreewick, then over the hill and back round through some very muddy fields. On the riverbank we saw a female Goosander and there were plenty of Mallards around.

Just before we turned away from the river, I stopped under some trees and watched the fast-moving water. Suddenly, a Dipper flew into the middle of the water and slowly worked its way downstream. It was a bit too dark for photos, though, so I just enjoyed watching my first Dipper of the year.

It was getting very warm and, having not been hiking for some time, I was getting rather hot and bothered. As we neared the top of a ridge, I heard a screeching call and flying around our heads were several Sand Martins. They appeared a bit agitated, so we moved along a bit and they calmed down. We looked back and noticed that there had been a landslide and in the soil bank, there were several holes. As I was scanning the bank, one of the flying birds went towards it and I saw it pass some food to one of two chicks sat in the entrance to the hole.

I quickly got the camera ready and waited for it to happen again. Not too long after, the adult came back and the chick grabbed the food again. See pics below.

Attachments

• sandmartin.jpg
    sandmartin.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 98
  • sandmartin2.jpg
    sandmartin2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 109
Sounds like you had a great day Diane. We had a scorcher up here too. Well done on the timing for the photos :t:

Not surprised some of the fields were a bit muddy Diane,you should have seen the shower we had here the other day.Glad you enjoyed your pie and pies and a B :)

Geoff

Who needs a proper walk, when as you say theres a pub with pie-pea's-& a pintB :) sounds like a good day Diane. Good read.
bert.

Thanks,Diane,esp for the photos,a case of being in the right place at the right time!!.You have had a great day,esp the pie ,peas and a pint!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back