• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flooded Fairburn Ings (1 Viewer)

Hotspur

James Spencer
United Kingdom
I tought i would have a look in at Fariburn this afternoon. A little wet after the last few days but nevermind. Lots of children! (no complaint, good to see them involved and all.....). Started at the pickup hide. Very quiet with just a moorhen and a coot for company. Something singing behind me but that was quickly scared away by some boisterous 10 year old :) Couldn't get any further west in the reserve due to the floods but could see a few mute swans, mallards and coots in the distance. Walking round to the Bob Dickens hide getting a very nice tan, watching hundreds of dragonflies and some long tailed tits. Up on the ridge saw a pair of linnets grazing on a bush, absolutley beautiful in the sun. At the Dickens hide saw lots of Swans, Coots, Canada Geese and a few Tufted ducks, Pochard, Cormorants and Ruddy ducks. Lapwing were present on the islands in the main bay. Looking a little closer to the hide saw a Kingfisher zipping about and a Green Woodpecker flash past. Before i got to the Village Bay hide saw what i am reasonably sure were a pair of spotted flycatchers (very brief glimpse). From the Village hide saw the same water birds as before as well as Common Tern, Black headed gull and Great Crested Grebe. Saw a Wren and a couple of Willow Warblers on the way to the cut hide. The Cut gave supeb views of Canada geese and Pochard resting up and of Coot on the nest. Not a huge amount else there though. Went back to the pickup hide to have a sit and read of my newly acquired guide to Fairburn when i saw a Water Rail (definitely!) swimming like a moorhen but very urgently between the reeds. Have never heard of this before, i assume it is because its usual patch was flooded but still very odd. A 3 Grey Herons stalking in the distance toward the moat. Not a lot of waders but what can you expect when most of the reserve is under water! A very pleasant afternoon. :bounce:

Nice One James...

I should get to Fairburn more often than I do, but unfortunately it's the wrong way for me... getting through Donny is a nightmare!

Always enjoy reading about it, and a big :t: for the Water Rail!

I remember once many many years ago walking from the layby to Fairburn Village along the road, which was flooded at the time - and a pike swam past me!!

Darrell

birdman said:
Nice One James...

I should get to Fairburn more often than I do, but unfortunately it's the wrong way for me... getting through Donny is a nightmare!

Always enjoy reading about it, and a big :t: for the Water Rail!

Hi Dave,

Yes! But once you get out it's a doddle.

Cheers

Intellectual

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back