• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost racing pigeon (1 Viewer)

timtagel

Balintore Birder
Hi

New visitor to the garden seems to have taken a fancy to us and I presume from looking at it (white pigeon, blackish tail feathers) that we've got a lost racing pigeon.

Will it survive and should we do anything to help it out short of inviting it in for tea ;-)

Im a sentimental ole fool and kind of feel sorry for the poor thing. Daft I know :)

Hi Timtagel. Have u looked to see if it has a ring on its foot? It would be helpful if it did if you could tell us the number. My dad has racing pigeons and he tends to lose quite a few! I notice you're in Scotland which is where I live. Nicola.

OK I'll have a look - obvious really.

I'm up on the Moray Firth - north side. I thought all pigeon fancier's killed birds that got lost enroute once they'd been returned?

We had one in our garden a month back.. the owner eventually came to collect it and told us if he got lost again he would kill it! I was in awe of someone with such god-like powers!

Maybe someone should offer to kill him the next time he gets lost.

I would try and ignore the pigeon, and either he will make his own way back, or at least live a little longer in the wild. If you get in touch with the owner, as an animal lover you have a good chance of a nasty experience.

My father had a similar lost pigeon turn up, and the owner told him to "wring its neck" for him!

(the pigeon we returned came back to our house about 3 weeks later!! we didn't offer it any hospitality, andwhile we were discussing what to do about it, he flew off.. in the oposite direction to his home!)

I wouldnt worry about it there are loads of them living ferral. It will probaly be fine. If it was to be returned it may well get its neck pulled.

We had one in our garden a month back.. the owner eventually came to collect it and told us if he got lost again he would kill it! I was in awe of someone with such god-like powers!

Maybe someone should offer to kill him the next time he gets lost.

I would try and ignore the pigeon, and either he will make his own way back, or at least live a little longer in the wild. If you get in touch with the owner, as an animal lover you have a good chance of a nasty experience.

My father had a similar lost pigeon turn up, and the owner told him to "wring its neck" for him!

(the pigeon we returned came back to our house about 3 weeks later!! we didn't offer it any hospitality, andwhile we were discussing what to do about it, he flew off.. in the oposite direction to his home!)
That's what I'm saying. I have raised birds of all kinds including Pigeons and not once have I ever thought of killing one should one get lost and I find it again. What's the purpose of killing it? I don't understand.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back