• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharpness i.r.t. lens choice (1 Viewer)

sniffie

Hi all,

I have a 30D and am very satisfied with it. After owning a sigma 70-300 APO DG lens I upgraded to an older sigma 400 5.6 APO. I cant get tacky sharp images altough always used icm with tripod.

I can get a good deal on a 300L F4 IS (thinking al lot about 400 L 5.6 too).
I chose the 300 because I can also use it for macro and close range shots.

Do you guys think this would be a good upgrade?
Thanks!!!

The 300 F4 is a great lens, but on the short side for birds.

The minimum focussing distance is better than the 400mm L prime - 1.5m as opposed to 3.5m - which would presumably make it better for macros: but then the extra 100mm of reach the 400 has means you won't need to get as close in the first place!

;)

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the 100-400mm zoom. It's as sharp as you could wish for, is very versatile because of the zoom; and has a minimum focusing distance of 1.8m, only slightly longer than that of the 300mm.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back