• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robins succumb to the weather. (1 Viewer)

BazR

bazr
Hi All.
I said on Linda's post the other day that I would soon have a garden full of chicks: the expected number has been reduced by the deaths, in the nest, of my Robin chicks. I hadn't seen the parent birds around for a few days so I checked the nest this morning to find one egg and four dead chicks. I can only think that the heavy rain and drop in temperature over the past week has done for them. |=(|
There is the possibility, as I have only seen one Robin in the garden recently, that one has been killed and the remaining bird couldn't cope with demand.
A very sad tale to tell, but on the bright side, as far as the Blue Tits still feeding is concerned, they are in and out like a fiddler's elbow. :t:

All the best.
Baz.

Oh dear how sad Baz and what an awful sight that must have been for you?
The temperature has dropped a lot though hasn't it but on the bright side for the other nesting birds is due to rise from tomorrow....too late for those dear poor Robins though.
Best wishes,

Awwww! thats a shame Baz, poor Robins. The weather has been really dreadful the past week. At least you still have your Blue Tits though, let us know of any progress (and pics of course)

Best wishes

Great shame about the Robins Baz. It must be a sickener to check the nest and see that. I know I have a failed Starling nest but haven't plucked up the courage to look yet. Fingers crossed for the Blue Tits, and some better weather.

Hi Baz,
So sorry to read about your Robins. What an awful find for you. Hope these photos of some young 'uns that I have visiting, cheer you a little.
Good Luck with the Blue Tits, and I hope you get lots of young ones visiting soon.
All the Best to You Baz,

Attachments

• 1)Robin & Baby.jpg
    1)Robin & Baby.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 2)Baby Robin begging.jpg
    2)Baby Robin begging.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 3)Robin Babies.jpg
    3)Robin Babies.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 14
That is bad news, Baz. You are right though, the weather is fairly dire now. Very nice pics, Judo.

Oh that's so sad Baz, I am sorry. This weather has been so topsy turvy, with April being almost like summer, and then May getting the April showers and cooler temperatures.
Glad Judo has cheered you up with her happy photos. I love the one of the nagging chick! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back