• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magical Mull (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

Magical Mull.

Hi everyone,
I know you're all probably sick of hearing all about the Isle of Mull so.........I'm going to tell you anyway!! lol!!
We crossed Loch Linnhe via the Corran ferry to Ardgour and then had a "quick" 30 mile drive to Lochaline where we were due to catch the Mull ferry to Fishnish....easily done in the 40 minutes we had before sailing!!!!!!....which would have been true had the road not turned into a "single track with passing places" at Loch Sunart....Howard put his foot down and we made the precarious dash with a few minutes to spare (Colin McRea would have been proud of him!! lol)
We boarded the ferry and climbed up onto the deck for our first proper glimpse of the island,the Sound of Mull was like glass with the early morning sunshine twinkling on the surface of it's calm waters which reflected the beautiful blue of the cloud free skies.(see pic 1)
Arriving at Fishnish we drove off towards Tobermory,we'd reached Salen when a group of people with scopes and bins drew our attention.We stopped and before we'd even got out of the car we could see what they were all watching....a Dog Otter in the bay,feeding and swimming beneath the seaweed!!! He was huge,so much bigger than the female with cubs that we'd been lucky enough to have seen on the mainland the week before.Common Seals were basking in the sunshine on some rocks a bit further out and Oystercatchers and Common Sandpipers were around in abundance.
We carried on and arrived soon in Tobermory a wonderful little place with charming coloured houses all along the sea front.(pic 2) We had a little retail therapy here and with some wonderfully tasty local Haddock and chips beside us set off back in the search of bigger "fish" in the shape of Eagles!!
We left the "main" road again at Salen and headed west on the B8035 soon reaching the coast and some of the most stunning cliffs I've ever seen.(pic 3) The road here was tortuous to say the least and some of the steep drops at the side didn't bare thinking about!!!!! lol! We parked up and walked onto the beach and just listened....silence,marvellous.Then a Cuckoo pierced the silence with it's echoey monotonous calling soon followed by the almost inevitable sound of the Oystercatchers.
We drove on and soon turned inland surrounded by the most amazing mountains towering all around us.(pic 4) Suddenly I saw what I thought was a Buzzard being mobbed by a Crow....but NO it was too big and it's wings were huge...we followed it for quite a while but couldn't stop as we had "white van man" up our tail!!
We eventually pulled into a lay-by and leapt out with bins as the bird was quickly disappearing out of view but we saw it long enough to see that it was in fact a Golden Eagle being mobbed by a Raven!!!!!!! A couple with scopes in the same lay-by confirmed our sighting and informed us that if we'd been 5 minutes earlier we'd have seen a White Tailed Sea Eagle pass through too!!!!! But we were ecstatic enough at just having seen the Golden Eagle......I couldn't believe the wingspan of it and how fast it could fly....amazing!!! We stayed a while but there was no sign of it returning so we carried on with our tour,stopping at every lochside and seeing Curlews,more Common Sandpipers,Red Breasted Mergansers and lots of Oystercatchers.
Heading for the ferry home now and whilst queuing saw Black Guillemots and Eiders in the sea the males looking splendid with their wonderful colours shing in the sunshine.
The whole day had gone by too quickly,we both left the island (pic 5) promising to return for a much longer stay on magical majestic Mull!

Attachments

• morning sun on Sound of Mull.jpg
    morning sun on Sound of Mull.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 36
  • Tobermory,Mull.jpg
    Tobermory,Mull.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 36
  • cliffs around Mull.jpg
    cliffs around Mull.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Mountains of mull.jpg
    Mountains of mull.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 33
  • leaving Mull.jpg
    leaving Mull.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 29
Hi Ruth,

I'm not sick of hearing about Mull. I've had several visits there but only 1 as a birder. Your report brings it all back to me. I never did catch up with an Otter, you lucky thing. Yes, I was surprised to see Ravens mobbing a Golden Eagle. I was also glad that I had a guide to tell me what I was looking at. Very good report and beautiful pics.

Hi Ruth thats fantastic. Werent you lucky with the weather. Every time i hear of Mull it seems to be calling me to visit. This year is going to be the year i think. I have sailed past it dozens of times in the past in fact we used to load at sand at Lochaline and take it down to Runcorn via the manchester ship canal to be used for glassware. twenty years ago i would not have looked twice at birds in the air though and the only thing on mull [like Lochaline] that held any intrest would be the first bar up the pier. How things change. I bet there are pepole on the forum that would pay good money to be bashing up and down the west coast of Scotland in an old coaster. As for me im now just gagging to get going and have a look. All due to the steady stream of great reports and reading yours has just wetted the appitite yet again. Cheers Ruth i hope you have a bit longer out west next time you visit.
Verry enjoyable.
Daf

Hi Ruth,

Not at all tired of hearing about Mull; I've never been and not likely to so it's all interesting.

One thing, with that 'mad dash' for the ferry and the cliff road I think that you're now ready for Applecross next time (ask Sue).

One other thing. Nuts to 'white-van-man', photos of Eagles being mobbed are more important, let him wait!

Great photos, give a real impression of your journey and the place.

Bill.

A lovely report Ruth, together with those inviting pictures. I've seen so much of Scotland, but never Mull. I will get there one day!
Yes it's a pity about WVM - they are a pain, and it's not always safe to stop where you want to. But at least you did get to see the Golden Eagle. That with the Otters previously mentioned would be more than enough excitement for me!
Great stuff Ruth, and you must still 'be there' in heart and mind, for some time to come.

Fantastic read Ruth...and pics:t:

But not only do I now have to buy a cottage in Cley, West Cornwall, Northumberland and the pembrokeshire coast I now have to buy one on Mull!!

I'll keep filling in the numbers:'D

Matt

Nice to have you back with us btw:gh:

Hi Ruth

I was back on Mull there for a few moments. As you know I crossed to Mull the same way you did when up there with Scott et all. You seem to have had a similar day for the crossing. Sun and blue skies.

Scott and I searched for Otters at Salen without luck. Good to see you got one.:t:

Only thing I recommend is that you stay on the island longer next time Ruth. Fantastic place with lots to explore and other exciting islands nearby. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that. I would be back up there tomorrow if I could.

Great to read of your adventure.

Best wishes

Why on earth should we be fed up when you post such interesting reports and lovely pics, Ruth! I enjoyed reading that very much, and the pics are wonderful. It is many many years since OH and I visited Mull, but I remember it as being a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing your holiday with us.

Noooo......could never get sick of hearing about Mull :t:

I've never been *yet* but plan to within the next two/three years (2007 & 2008 are spoken for as I'm saving up like crazy and then moving house LOL).

You'll definitely have to go for a longer stay next time ;)

Hi Ruth.
How could we get fed up of such interesting reports and stunning pics? Very well done love. You make Mull sound what it so obviously is; extremely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

All the best.
Baz.

Interesting read Ruth, I really enjoyed it ~ and fantastic pics too. Could never get fed up hearing about Mull, thanks for sharing it with us.

Best wishes

You really make it look and sound like the Magical place I've heard it is. Really is a place I should plan to visit..Thanks for sharing.

Hi Ruth,

A lovely report there and with some great sightings too. Though, however you managed to get to Lochaline in THAT time I just don't know. Certainly a very single road, but some wonderful sightings of smaller Birds as well as G Eagles if you're fortunate. Do you have a shot of the Dog Otter?

So pleased you enjoyed your trip, with the charm of Tobermory too.

Sue.

we used to load at sand at Lochaline and take it down to Runcorn via the manchester ship canal to be used for glassware.
Hi Daf,quite a coincidence that as I live only 10 minutes away from Runcorn and the M.S Canal!!!

however you managed to get to Lochaline in THAT time I just don't know.
Told you Colin McRae would have been proud of him!!!!! ;)

Thanks to you all for reading my report,I'm glad it was enjoyed....there's more to come yet.....when I've time that is!!!:eek!:
Best wishes,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back