• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need replacement camera (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Some may have seen but lost my camera - Canon D60 - with 70/300zoom!

Puts me in a dilema - had been saving for a 400 5.6 or a 600 tamron zoom.

Can't afford both now!

I have a Lumix fz28 18x - noticed how limited it was yesterday - even the DSLR 300mm cropped gives better but at the same time was feeling a lack of reach hence saving for a new lens. I bought the Lumix bridge 72 before the D60 but was dissappointed with the speed - missing birds in flight.

So I have two options - really cheap DSLR and same lens as before ie 70/300mm cheapy or back to bridge - canon sx60 is 310€ at the moment here.

What I loved about the DSLR was the speed of snapping (could really snap off 3/4 shots before the bridge would find the subject - I got two good pics yesterday of Firecrest and two misses - the D60 would have blasted 15 pictures for a couple of good shots (same result as it happens) but if the bird had not stayed would have probably had none with Lumix) what I loved about the bridge was the reach. I'm never going to be a professional photographer (i don't have the patience) and I never really spent a lot of time playing with my photos after the event. I know that I would have missed some record shots with the bridge this year and that was frustrating.

Which way to go? I still have a canon fit sigma old school lens - have to use on AP - but never really happy with sharpness (it was the reason I went Canon last time round). So I can go DSLR Canon Nikon or any bridge or other suggestion. I went 750€ last time and can't afford that this time (the week before lost camera I paid for our hols and some new skis so the budget went).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back