• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Ringing Opportunities? (1 Viewer)

MJArnold

Hi All,

This summer marks my 10th year as a bird bander in North America, so to celebrate I'm hoping to spend fall migration ringing in Europe. Does anyone knew of any locations that might accept me as a volunteer? Thanks

Mike

There are probably quite a lot. Do you have a particular country in mind ? In the UK the first place I would recommend would be Icklesham, email
[email protected]

In August French ringers run camps at (I think) 3 major estuaries. Good but you need mosquito protection (DEET is banned in France). I believe there is a longer lasting project near Cadiz, Spain at Donana. Other schemes are advertised through the British Trust for Ornithology, I don't have the details but if you contact the BTO I guess they will be able to give you contact details.

Mike.

I didn't really have a particular country in mind, but I only speak English and Spanish, if that makes a difference.

I just found the one in Donana yesterday, and it seemed pretty exciting. But I'll check into the others as well. I've never been to Europe before, so I'm more interested in species diversity than capture rates.

For Spanish opportunities I would recommend you to keep an eye on the SEO/Birdlife website (www.seo.org). They announce activities, and they link to some blogs (and the local groups websites) where you could find some opportunities.

Also, SEO has a mailing list (avesforum). You can subscribe to it and ask directly.

A ringing camp was planned for August in our local area but I haven't heard about it since (it was basically more like a New Year resolution and I also haven't heard about some other plans either). It seems many (10-20 or so) college students in our city are willing to earn their "independent ringer" permit (in addition to exams, you have to endure the whole camp experience).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back