• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why no picture??? (1 Viewer)

The size limits for attachments are 800x800 pixels and 200kb - both must be met. Mostly I use 800x600 pixels at 72dpi for the web.

The size limits for attachments are 800x800 pixels and 200kb - both must be met. Mostly I use 800x600 pixels at 72dpi for the web.

I realise that's what it says, and yet here are two photos that I've uploaded onto other threads in the past few days. Both are jpeg files. The squirrel is 900x675 pixels and 502kb. The owl is 900x675 pixels and 831kb. (Both file sizes are pre-uploading, the "Manage Attachments" window reduces this as they upload to 89.9kb & 143kb respectively).

Attachments

• Squirrel 14 copy.jpg
    Squirrel 14 copy.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Barn Owl 03 copy.jpg
    Barn Owl 03 copy.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 79
when the upload results in lower file size, that is probably due to stronger jpg compression. Maybe your latest image had details to that even with the stronger compression, the size did not get down under the maximum?

Niels

200 kb limit is for the pics for gallery. In a thread you can post files up to 1.93 Mb.
By the way, I really don't know how to prepare the pics for posting in the gallery. I saw there a lot of very large pics (large on the screen) and my pics are usually smaller. Why? I supose there is a trick! My photos are saved by the camera in jpeg format at 180 dpi, 2816 x 2112 pixels. I'm working with Adobe Photoshop. After cropping I simply use "Image" for changing the resolution to 72 dpi. Maybe this is not right? Please help me with an advice.

Last edited:
Another solution might be to upload to a different host, a free one like photobucket or Flickr can be good, and paste the link in for us to follow.

I realise that's what it says, and yet here are two photos that I've uploaded onto other threads in the past few days. Both are jpeg files. The squirrel is 900x675 pixels and 502kb. The owl is 900x675 pixels and 831kb. (Both file sizes are pre-uploading, the "Manage Attachments" window reduces this as they upload to 89.9kb & 143kb respectively).

Yes that's the problem. To upload a file as an attachment you need to stay within the maximum pixels dimensions of 800x800 pixels else the software reduces them - but not very well increasing compression and so losing detail. Results are much better if you keep within the limits. The file size limit for attachments are larger than for the Gallery which is still 200kb, but still has a similar issue with size as with files larger than 900x900 will be resized downwards creating two files.

I generally only prepare files for web use that are under 800x800 and under 200kb - so they're ready for use in either the Gallery or an as attahcment.

200 kb limit is for the pics for gallery. In a thread you can post files up to 1.93 Mb.
By the way, I really don't know how to prepare the pics for posting in the gallery. I saw there a lot of very large pics (large on the screen) and my pics are usually smaller. Why? I supose there is a trick! My photos are saved by the camera in jpeg format at 180 dpi, 2816 x 2112 pixels. I'm working with Adobe Photoshop. After cropping I simply use "Image" for changing the resolution to 72 dpi. Maybe this is not right? Please help me with an advice.

You're working along the right lines. I see from the Gallery that you have several high quaility images but the dimensions vary quite a bit.

I tend not to use Photoshop but when I do -

1. I open an image and view it at 'fit on screen'.
2. Select the crop tool setting it at 800x600 or whatever shape you want eg 800x640 or 800x800 and resolution of 72 pixels/inch. Just drag the frame to the size I want and then crop the image.
3. Resize the image so that the longest dimension is 800 pixels. I apply whatever adjustments I want and save a copy at maximum compression. Then save another copy using the 'save for web' function or more often use noise reduction software which also downsizse the file.

I use Photoshop 7.0, so you may use a different version. I rarely mess with resolution unless I need to print, in which case I would like to have 300 dpi. For the web 72 dpi is preferred, but mostly, the server takes care of that anyway.

Route no 1: open in photoshop, do whatever you think is necessary, and including cropping off what is needed, and then open Image/Image size: make sure the "resample" checkbox has been checked off, and enter 72 dpi, and click OK. Then reopen Image/Image size, check "resample" on, enter 800 pixels in the box for pixels that already had the largest number and click OK. Use save as, use jpg, use quality around 7, and give the image a new name.

Route no 2: Open and adjust if needed, then click file/save for web, in the lower rigth hand corner click the tab for image size, enter 800 or less in the box that contains the largest number, watch the lower left hand corner where the size is given as e.g., 79.54K. If the number is too large still, then you can lower the number of pixels, or you can go to the box named quality and change the compression: compression is here given as a percentage, so 60 to 70 normally works OK. 100 is the largest image and the best quality.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back