• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crested Barbets (1 Viewer)

Sal

The crested barbets were making such a noise in the tree outside my bedroom window this morning. The males sound just like an alarm clock - not the 'peep - peep - peep' kind but the old-fashioned 'trrrrrrrrrrrrr' kind, sometimes going on and on for quite a time. They are very colourful birds and so I thought I'd post a pic of one. You can just see the black crest on the top of its head. I wondered who else had barbets in their part of the world, or are they unique to Africa? As you can see, my knowledge of birds in the rest of the world is pretty abysmal. I am so impressed when you all reel off birds you have seen/heard of in other countries.

Attachments

• barbet.jpg
    barbet.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 244
Oh goodness Sal IF I were to ever want or ever use an alarm I would want mine to look exactly like yours! That is a beautiful bird. None here in Canada.

Lovely shot Sal, what a colourful bird it is. I'm afraid we don't have one to match that for bright colours.

It certainly is a distinctive looking bird Sal. I was trying to get a guage as to how big it is. I sure wouldn't mind being awakened by that beauty.

it is the largest of our barbets KC, probably 20 - 22 cm in length I would say. The crest goes up quite noticeably when it is ringing!

Wow, Sal,
You have the most amazingly colorful birds over there! I'm jealous! I've never heard of this one but it sure beats the ravens that wake me up at 4:00 am in the summer outside my window (normally destroying my garden at the time!) :)

Sal, he's another to add to your wonderful list of birds! You have some really stunning ones....and your pictures and explanations are terrific!

DonnaA

Thanks Donna, but if you read the 'Beautiful British Birds' thread, you will see we also get dull ones! Tammie we have an awful bird called the Hadeda ( it belongs to the ibis family)which wakes up the whole country I suspect, in the early hours - it has the most unbelievably raucous 'hadeda' cry and all of them call at different pitches, usually in groups of about eight or ten - I swear some of them get laryngitis on occasion, leading to a sort of half strangled high pitched shriek!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back