• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ150/G3 long zoom poor weather high ISO comparison (1 Viewer)

Hi Sean,
thanks for Sharing. several observations:
-the FZ is doing much better than any other superzoom I have seen results from at iso1600.
-there are still more details in in the G3 pictures
-I also agree that the IS on the 100-300 could have been better. Did you update with the new firmware on your lens? I have not done that on mine yet, but with the current version I use 1/640 most of the time, down to about 1/400 when it is dark. I use up to iso 3200 on my GH2 without problems, but I do shoot raw + jpg and mostly start from the Raw when I really want to show a picture.

Niels

Hi Niels,

Yes I did update the firmware but I'm still quite disappointed by the hit and miss IS on the lens. In terms of sharpness alone the FZ150 gives much more reliable results. I really think that an IS 300mm lens should be able to cope consistently with 1/500!

All the best,
Sean

Last edited:
That's a most interesting comparison, with no conclusive winner as far as I'm concerned. For one, the colors differ slightly in both directions, with the FZ150 version being more yellowish in the dumper picture, but more bluish on the first set. In the last pair, I think they both have about the same color distribution. On that last set, the FZ150 seems a bit sharper, but when looking at the branches in the background, it's the G3 that is sharper. In the dumper pair, it's the other way around regarding that background. My conclusion is that they don't both focus at the exact same spot, thus providing a bit more sharpness in the front of the main object or in the back. But both cameras provide amazingly fine pictures at that rather high ISO level.

Thanks a lot for posting. :t:

I posted a quick comparison over here, for those interested:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=40111860
No bird photos I'm afraid (unless you count tiny distant R L Partridges) but useful for those trying to decide between these cameras. I must say it's a very close call for me. I will be selling one of the I think - and I am finding it REALLY hard to decide which!
Sean

Interesting comparison, Sean. For me, the noise on the FZ150 would be the deal breaker (although, I agree, the results are impressive for the sensor size). I prefer the G3 shots you posted. I regularly use the 100-300mm at or below 1/500th sec shutter speed without too many problems. Although, I do up the ISO and decrease aperture when I want sharper shots.

Having said all that, my underlying feeling with the G3/100-300mm set up is that overall the results are a little soft. I think I got sharper shots with my old superzoom! But, I much prefer the reduction in noise, and improvement in image quality, and am willing to work with the 'softer' results (often a little, careful, well placed sharpening does the trick). The other thing I really like about the G3 is that I don't have to wait for the lens to extend before I start shooting. I can turn on and twist out the lens in an instant.

Good luck with your decision. It's not an easy one. If I hadn't bought the G3/100-300mm, I would have bought the FZ150. I'm not sure there is a winner - just benefits and downsides of each. You just have to decide which elements are the most important to you.

all the best
Hobbes

Hobbes, I wonder what your settings are. I use RAW+jpg, and it is clear that more sharpening has been applied to the raw than to the jpg by default. If you are only using jpg, then you could experiment with extra sharpening (I always had that on my previous camera).

Niels

Hobbes, I wonder what your settings are. I use RAW+jpg, and it is clear that more sharpening has been applied to the raw than to the jpg by default. If you are only using jpg, then you could experiment with extra sharpening (I always had that on my previous camera).

Niels

Hi Niels
Thanks. I shoot in jpg. I recently changed my settings to +1 on Sharpening and -1 on Noise reduction. That does seem to have improved things although in certian situations, it sometimes oversharpens some elements, lol. For the moment, though, I'm happy with the images it's producing :t:
All the best
Hobbes

Well folks after a lot of agonising I have decided to sell my G3 kit and 100-300 lens. It's a great camera and lens but as a birder who only really takes snaps I just don't feel I need the better IQ compared to the FZ150 which I have also purchased. Up to 800 iso the difference is slight in all except the cloudiest day's shooting, and although the G3 is much more pleasurable to use (especially the viewfinder) than the 150, it demands more attention to use it properly and take good photos.

So if anyone is interested it is now in the For Sale section...

Cheers
Sean

Well folks after a lot of agonising I have decided to sell my G3 kit and 100-300 lens. It's a great camera and lens but as a birder who only really takes snaps I just don't feel I need the better IQ compared to the FZ150 which I have also purchased. Up to 800 iso the difference is slight in all except the cloudiest day's shooting, and although the G3 is much more pleasurable to use (especially the viewfinder) than the 150, it demands more attention to use it properly and take good photos.

So if anyone is interested it is now in the For Sale section...

Cheers
Sean

Hi Sean
Glad you've made the right choice for you. Sounds very sensible. :t:
Hobbes

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back