• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

olympus OM-D E-M5 vesus Nikon V1 (1 Viewer)

Neko

Hi,

I´m thinking about getting a digiscoping camera along with the TLS APO. I have a Swa 80HD ATS. So far I have been reading good things about both cameras. Anyway should be nice hearing from anyone with some experience . Is anyone using this combo?:

olympus OM-D E-M5+TLS APO+ ATS 80HD scope.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi, I used the OM-D. Its a fantastic Camera, but it has a strong shutter vibration. It blurred many of my pictures above 1200mm while using a remote cable.The Nikon V1 has a fully electronic shutter with no vibration at all. Panasonic G5/GH3 have also a electronic shutter option.

Hi, I used the OM-D. Its a fantastic Camera, but it has a strong shutter vibration. It blurred many of my pictures above 1200mm while using a remote cable.The Nikon V1 has a fully electronic shutter with no vibration at all. Panasonic G5/GH3 have also a electronic shutter option.

Above 1200mm, your lens must have been a telescope since the longer M43 lenses are 300mm (600mm eq.). When digiscoping, there are many causes for blurred pictures; it may not be shutter vibration.

All cameras with a mechanical shutter and live view have shutter slap and the OM-D is one of them. Some lenses have it more than other. There are 2 ways to avoid it. The first one is to avoid shutter speeds around 1/100 to 1/125 s. The second one is to enable the 1/8 second anti-shock delay.

Some of the features of the OM-D that are nice for digiscoping are:
- Light weight
- Tilt LCD easy to see under bright light
- Very good in-body IS
- Good sensor noise performance

I've used it with a 12-50mm lens on my Pentax PF-80ED and there is no vignetting after about 20mm. I'll be able to test it further in a few weeks when the weather gets warmer.

I have not used the V1 unfortunately.

Good luck with your choice.
Jules

Thanks guys,

I´ll finally get the V1. I´m told the V1+TLS APO works fine. I have seen someone´s photos using this combo and getting great results. And now the V1 is much cheaper!!

Thanks guys,

I´ll finally get the V1. I´m told the V1+TLS APO works fine. I have seen someone´s photos using this combo and getting great results. And now the V1 is much cheaper!!

Good decision. The kit zooms on the V1 work well too. Either the 10-30 or the 11-27.5 mm ( I have both ). I like it for the fast Auto Focus. I find the MF with the V1 a bit hit and miss sometimes, although if you have 20/20 eyesight then the Electronic Viewfinder makes it easier. I use the TLS APO for video a lot.
Neil.

With the OM-D, under the Menu "tools-E" there is the option "Anti-shock". Enabling this will reduce the "shutter shock" strongly, by activating the shutter for some time before the picture is taken. Note that this option is different from the normal self timer, which will not reduce the "shutter shock".

I found the lens to be a very decisive factor for good pictures. Some m4/3 lenses produce very sharp pictures on my swaro 25x-50x eyepiece, other lenses are not good at all. For example, the 30mm Sigma somehow only produces rather soft images for me. On the other side, the 14mm Panasonic is excellent (sharpness & autofocus), but magnification is lower and it vignettes even at 50x (though only a little).

That said, does anyone know if the new 17mm 1.8 lens from Olympus works for digiscoping?

Last edited:
With the OM-D, under the Menu "tools-E" there is the option "Anti-shock". Enabling this will reduce the "shutter shock" strongly, by activating the shutter for some time before the picture is taken. Note that this option is different from the normal self timer, which will not reduce the "shutter shock".

I found the lens to be a very decisive factor for good pictures. Some m4/3 lenses produce very sharp pictures on my swaro 25x-50x eyepiece, other lenses are not good at all. For example, the 30mm Sigma somehow only produces rather soft images for me. On the other side, the 14mm Panasonic is excellent (sharpness & autofocus), but magnification is lower and it vignettes even at 50x (though only a little).

That said, does anyone know if the new 17mm 1.8 lens from Olympus works for digiscoping?

The anti-shock feature on the OM-D and works well. However, shutter shock on mirrorless cameras is visible with some lenses at low shutter speeds i.e. <1/250 s. IMO, these speeds that are too low for successful digiscoping.

Regards
J

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back