• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece thread MM60 (1 Viewer)

bioscope

Hello -

for several weeks I've used my 'little gem' MM460 for trips with low weight. Ok - it's not so good in low light (in winter also late afternoon light), but for those times I've the DiaScope85 on a 3530+2380 (heavy weight). The MM4 is sitting on top of another Gitzo-setup: 2532S+2180, only half the weight. (The original Birdwatchers-tripod was not really steady in slow windy conditions, so I take the little systematic).

The optics are very sharp until the edges, and in useful light it's very impressive. But my eyes have a little trouble with the v2-zoom. So I will try the Baader Hyperion Zoom with several threated adapters (mostly for the celestron scopes). So I need the diameter of the MM4- both at the eyepiece side. My simple measurements leads 'nearly' to the numbers ~42mm (perhaps M42) and the lower diameter ~34mm (perhaps 1,38", M35). Can anyone do exact measurements of the both threads, placed at the eyepiece side fromm the MM460 (EDa, but shurely the same with the MM3 and the 50s and straight versions)?

I dont' know if focussing works with the Baader-Zoom, but the thread-diameters are essential.

thanks a lot :t:
Manfred

Moin!

I dont' know if focussing works with the Baader-Zoom, but the thread-diameters are essential.

Have you tried to contact Opticron via their web site?

(Kowa Germany at least were very helpful when I asked them for the specification of the accessory thread on one of their scopes.)

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

the accessory thread around bayonet of the Kowa smallbody scopes is M41x0.75. The Opticron thread is close enough that the SDLv2 fits a few threads on the TSN-1/2/3/4 and sits tight. It might be M41x0.5.

But before you make an adapter, maybe just hold the Baader in place and see if you come focus...

Joachim

MM4-Hyperion-Zoom

I don't think a Baader zoom will fit any Opticron scope, the aperture's not wide enough.

Yes - a rough measurement of the Baader-Zoom leads to ~30mm (without the 1,25"-barrel), the aperture of the MM4-body is ~28,5mm. :-C

Thanks for your measurements, so the v2 will stay - but the globe-effect in the panning-mode is obviously.

Good light
Manfred

so the V2 has a zooming barrel of less than 28mm?...im surprised about the baader not fitting though,..ill measure my mk III ....

MM4 - barrel diameter

so the V2 has a zooming barrel of less than 28mm?...im surprised about the baader not fitting though,..ill measure my mk III ....
I've measured (roughly) the diameter of the Baader-Zoom (without the 1,25"-part for the astronomical use) and the diameter of the hole for the eyepieces in the MM4-60, and it shows me the differences. Did I make a (systematical) error?

best regards
Manfred

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back